Is it normal for a procedure to begin with a conditional directive? (if statement)

B

biboy2012

My own answer is 'No', because task #1 should be the starting point of any activity, IMHO.

But......

Here is an example:

Activity Preface

These tasks are performed whenever a Customer Service Representative or anyone in the company recieves customer complaint.

If complaint received by Customer Service Representative?, goto task #1. Otherwise, goto task #22.

Customer Service Representative
1. Receive customer complaint.
2. Log complaint in the system and indicate all the applicable information with corresponding Ticket Number.
3. Try to solve the issue on his/her own (1st contact resolution).
Any member of the organization
22. Receives complaint from customer and forwards the same to Customer Service Department.
End of activity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Is it normal for a procedure to begin with a conditional directive? (if statemen

My own answer is 'No', because task #1 should be the starting point of any activity, IMHO.
But......
Here is an example:
Activity Preface

These tasks are performed whenever a Customer Service Representative or anyone in the company recieves customer complaint.
If complaint received by Customer Service Representative?, goto task #1. Otherwise, goto task #22.
Customer Service Representative
1. Receive customer complaint.
2. Log complaint in the system and indicate all the applicable information with corresponding Ticket Number.
3. Try to solve the issue on his/her own (1st contact resolution).
Any member of the organization
22. Receives complaint from customer and forwards the same to Customer Service Department.
End of activity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If the nature of Task #1 depends on specified conditions, then the conditions should be specified before Task #1 is performed. What do you see as a better alternative?

B

biboy2012

Re: Is it normal for a procedure to begin with a conditional directive? (if statemen

If the nature of Task #1 depends on specified conditions, then the conditions should be specified before Task #1 is performed. What do you see as a better alternative?
No idea. The task #1 is dependent on specified condition. So, possibly the condition is the beginning point. Problem is how to identify the "performer" associated with the condition "If complaint received by Customer Service Representative?, goto task #1. Otherwise, goto task #22."

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

As part of the procedure, you could indicate that all complaints are to be processed by a Customer Service Representative, so all employees have the responsibility to forward any received complains to the Customer Service Department (although, I'd make it one specific person, if possible). This takes away #22.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

No idea. The task #1 is dependent on specified condition. So, possibly the condition is the beginning point. Problem is how to identify the "performer" associated with the condition "If complaint received by Customer Service Representative?, goto task #1. Otherwise, goto task #22."

The "otherwise" defaults to anyone other than a customer service representative. Is that a problem?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Probably I did not understand well, but I would suggest to convey customer complainst into one unique and well identified channel of communication, not allowing lots of people directly deal with the customer ( customer representative or any other personnel).
:bigwave:

Q

Quality_Steve

I generally begin with what initiated the process. Such as:

[Customer complaint received.]
<If received by CSR then goto "B" otherwise goto "A">
[A - Complaint is forwarded to CSR]
[B - CSR logs complaint]

B

biboy2012

I generally begin with what initiated the process. Such as:

[Customer complaint received.]
<If received by CSR then goto "B" otherwise goto "A">
[A - Complaint is forwarded to CSR]
[B - CSR logs complaint]
Received by whom? There are 2 performers identified by Job Title "Customer Serice Representative" and "anyone in the organization" and should be associated with task Customer complaint received.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

Received by whom? There are 2 performers identified by Job Title "Customer Serice Representative" and "anyone in the organization" and should be associated with task Customer complaint received.

See my response above. ... or on page 1 of this thread.

B

biboy2012

As part of the procedure, you could indicate that all complaints are to be processed by a Customer Service Representative, so all employees have the responsibility to forward any received complains to the Customer Service Department (although, I'd make it one specific person, if possible). This takes away #22.
Indicate where? For example, a procedure is composed of the following:

Scope
Policy
Responsibility
Distribution
Ownership
Task Segment
Activity Preface
Tasks

Which part of the procedure?

Top Bottom