Approved Statistical Calculator for ASQ Certification Exams

gard2372

Quite Involved in Discussions
:confused: I'm studying for the ASQ CQE Exam, I did take two courses in Stats for Business I & II in college, so I know the basics, now I have to do a lot of refreshing for the heavily biased CQE exam.

I read a post from 2002 regarding the ASQ rules for calculator use during the ASQ Certification exams. The rule states that no aplhabetic keypad calculators may be used during the exam. The postee said he even emailed ASQ stating that his calculator had a shifted alpha key (same as mine) and not an aplhabetic keypad. Does anyone know if ASQ has posted an approved calculator list? I'm very comfortable with using a TI-83 graphing calculator also because it was the required calculator in my college. I also like it because of the the statistical functions it has (one-two Var, Lin regress, STD Deviation, z/t test, ANVOA, etc..) If anyone can shed some light on this subject I'd greatly appreciate it.

I did email ASQ asking them for clarification to what an aplhabetic keypad calculator is. The college board refers to them as QWERTY type, like a traditional keyboard.

In the mean time, can anyone recommend a good approved scientific calculator esay to use/learn with one-two Var STAT capabilities STD. Dev etc.. Your help is greatly Appreciated :D

Regards,

Rob :agree:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
"Heavily biased CQE exam"... hmmm. Yes, a lot of statistics. I actually feel like you will do okay, as half of the statistics, as I remember, were on application; the other half was on computation given word problems and of course they were all multiple choice answers.

ASQ's CQE booklet says:

"Calculator Policy: With the introduction of palmtop computers
and the increasing sophistication of scientific calculators,
ASQ has become increasingly aware of the need to limit the
types of calculators that are permitted for use during
examinations. Any silent, hand-held, battery-operated calculator
without an alphabetic keyboard will be permitted. All
programmable memory must be cleared before you enter the
exam room. If you bring an alphabetic keyboard calculator
into the exam room, it will be confiscated by the proctor, and
returned after the exam. It is the obligation of ASQ to ensure
that everyone is treated equitably. The examination is written
so that a simple calculator will be sufficient to perform all
calculations.
– The proctor for the exam site will make the final determination
of appropriateness of any electronic device."

This was printed in October 03. https://www.asq.org/cert/pdf/cqe_brochure.pdf

I used my "Quality Engineering Statistics" (Robert Dovich) as a study guide, as well as Dodson, Nutt and Johnson's "CQE Quick Reference Notes" to go along with my "Complete Guide to the CQE" (Pyzdek) for theory. The Reference Notes book had a lot of space for note taking, which was allowed. Lastly I used a sample test question CD from Quality America (I am not affiliated with this group) to help me study and found it very worthwhile.

I used a TI 36X calculator, which to this day I heavily favor over my whiz-bang graphing calculator with its encyclopaedic manual.

I hope this helps!

gard2372

:) Thanks Jen, (Swabbie)

I've read some of your posts' before about the Pzydek ref. materials. Very informative. However, I've already purchased the standard (at least they seem to be) QCI's brand of Primers.

I do actually have a TI-36X solar at home, so I think I can download a free users manual from TI's education website https://education.ti.com/educationportal/ to catch me up on how exactly to use the STAT functions, as the calculator was not originally mine.

Regards,

Rob (ex-jarhead Marine Aviation) :)

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
gard2372 said:
:) Thanks Jen, (Swabbie)

I've read some of your posts' before about the Pzydek ref. materials. Very informative. However, I've already purchased the standard (at least they seem to be) QCI's brand of Primers.

I do actually have a TI-36X solar at home, so I think I can download a free users manual from TI's education website https://education.ti.com/educationportal/ to catch me up on how exactly to use the STAT functions, as the calculator was not originally mine.

Regards,

Rob (ex-jarhead Marine Aviation) :)
Swabbie, heh--I had forgotten. Nice to hear from you again!

QCI Primer-- :rolleyes: I hated those things.
If you can't find a download of that manual, I can make a copy of mine and mail it to you.

gard2372

Thanks,

The Ti website had one online and was downloadable in PDF.
(broken link removed)

Regards,
rob

procyaranda

Registered
see list from ASQ as of Sept 4, 2019
Approved Statistical Calculator for ASQ Certification Exams

Attachments

• Approved Statistical Calculator for ASQ Certification Exams
    1567559999165.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 175
Top Bottom