Documents and Records - Difference between and How to control Documents and Records?

PrissiDe

Registered
Hello, I am fairly new to AS9100 and I am trying to write the procedure for Control of Documents. I am getting very confused on what the difference between Document and Records? Can anyone help me sort the two out?

Also I am trying to figure out a way to contol my doucments. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to control my documents?

Thank you,
Brittani

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Difference between Documents and Records? How to control them?

Hello, I am fairly new to AS9100 and I am trying to write the procedure for Control of Documents. I am getting very confused on what the difference between Document and Records? Can anyone help me sort the two out?

Also I am trying to figure out a way to contol my doucments. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to control my documents?

Thank you,
Brittani

There's a simple tool to help you remember:
  • A document says: DO
  • A record says: DONE
Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator

1st...Welcome to the Cove:bigwave:

Next, just use the Standard because your best answers are contained there.

From ISO 9000:2005 (which is referenced in clause 3 of AS9100)

3.7.2 document
information (3.7.1) and its supporting medium

3.7.6 record
document (3.7.2) stating results achieved or providing evidence of activities performed

How do you control them? As required by AS9100

B

Blogpostwriter

Just put it as simple as this. Not all documents are considered records, but all records can be considered as documents. Documents can be treated as a generic term and records as the brand name.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

ddunn

Regarding control:
Documents (manuals, procedures, processes, instructions...) change
Records do not change

Q

quality person

Hope this helps

Records - cannot be amended ( if amended it becomes manipulation)
Documents - can be amended. (format is a document. Filled format becomes a record)

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

Hope this helps

Not entirely true. Sometimes corrections need to be made, and they are not necessarily manipulation or falsification of data. Typos, transpositions, putting the wrong value in the wrong column. Sometimes people make mistakes. At least all the ones I've ever met.

J

JoannaR

Not all documents are considered records, but all records can be considered as documents.

This is not a truth. :)

Hope this helps

Documents - can be amended. (format is a document. Filled format becomes a record)

This is the truth :)

Regards
Joanna

J

JoannaR

Not entirely true. Sometimes corrections need to be made, and they are not necessarily manipulation or falsification of data. Typos, transpositions, putting the wrong value in the wrong column. Sometimes people make mistakes. At least all the ones I've ever met.

I just can't agree with you.
This what you are writing about is just error correcting. Record is a statement of a fact and can not be amended. Even if data is not looking good for company you can not enhance it to make it better looking. This is manupilation ;)

Regards
Joanna

D

dv8shane

Hope this helps

ISO9001:2008 4.2.4 Control of Records. The word amendment or anything similar does not appear. It is about how the organization defines it's controls retains legibility etc.
Here is a snip from one of my 2nd level procedures where I define the requirements for ammendments

"If changes are to be made to a Controlled Record they will be done in coordination when required with customers, legal or regulatory agency requirements. The changes will be documented and approved as required."

Shane

Top Bottom