How maintain an AS9100 QMS that allows us to produce non-AS product

B

Bob the QE

Look for examples or ideas on how maintian a AS9100 QMS that allows us to produce product not compliant to the AS standard. About 20% of our existing business is in or related to the AS world the other 80% is not. We are looking for ways to produce the 20% of our product so that they conform to the standards of AS while 80% will not (especially in the areas of traceability). Our QMS will be AS approved. This concept was actually presented as an option in our doc review for our AS registration. Anyone worked in or works in such a place?

Thanks

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: AS Compliant QMS vs Non AS

This must be done in a very careful manner. For the most part, the only differences will be with the "product realization processes" that are different between aerospace and non-aerospace parts.

Many of the other processes are very difficult to create a clear separation between aerospace and non-aerospace products. For example, your purchasing processes, can you really separate the raw material and suppliers for aerospace products?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I've done that a bunch of times over the years. Make sure you map out, and document, all your processes and such so it is very clear what the scope of the registration is. In most cases we included a marked up plant layout to define physical limits. Note that areas/processes where both are produced have to be included in the scope. Then, before you proceed, make sure you discuss the intended registration scope (with supporting documentation!) with your registrar prior to proceeding. Keep the documentation as controlled documents so if/when the scope changes the supporting documentation will be updated, and so that when a new auditor comes along down the road the audit/registration scope is clear to the new auditor.

I have had implementation clients who excluded whole departments (in one it was a wire harness assembly area) from the scope of registration. They did this by defining the department as an 'outside supplier', so they had to technically do receiving inspection and such as the parts left the department.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I've done it with consulting clients with dual AS9100 and ISO 9001 certifications, most recently with a composite products manufacturer. The quality manual clearly specifies which product lines the AS9100 requirements apply to. The ISO 9001 requirements apply to all product lines. We didn't go to the extent of marking physical boundaries because many of the processes are used for both aerospace/defense applications and commercial products. Travelers and other process documentation supports the additional AS9100 requirements for the product lines.

Randy

Super Moderator
How about just doing it and keeping those products excluded from the scope of your certification? Then it's nobodies business and you can tell them so.

If you have to state what's in scope then you can also state what is out of scope. After that you can make hard rock candy or kitchenware if you want.

B

Bob the QE

Thanks for the info and I am off on to the next step. The info provided gave me two views; one is addressing it in the scope and the other is physical in nature. Let me see if I can pull more info from both lines of thinking, we do not identify products by nomenclature in our scope so I don't see how that will work "rock candy or kitchenware”. But I am open to ideas. In our situation we will be utilizing or may utilize all manufacturing process and machinery at some point for our AS Product so the physical thing will also be tricky. I am thinking of a two file one system approach, it will work something like this; products in a Blue" folder will be AS. That being the case we will be using the AS requirements as the bases on how to manufacture these parts including all the traceability requirements. A Green folder would be standard manufacturing process and there will be less requirements/records in these folders. Such things as Customer Issues, Purchasing, Auditing etc (Elements 4,5,6,8).. will be corporate and will be AS across the org. Any thoughts on where I am laying the land mines that will blow-up.

I always look forward to the thought and opinions that provided.:thanx:

Top Bottom