A New Term for Defectives: SLO - Significant learning opportunities

C

Charmed

Dear Covers:

I didn't know where to put this but this is too good to pass and has everything to do with QUALITY and Zero Defects that is of interest to many of us here.

The following is taken from a political commentary, which I have rephrased to remove all semblance of politics. Instead of "mistake" read a "defect" or a defective component. Now, we have a new term SLO which stands for Significant Learning Opportunity.

https://slate.msn.com/id/2106171/

"When children and people make mistakes, they should not be castigated and ridiculed," he said. Instead these mistakes are merely "SLOs—significant learning opportunities, where the people making the mistakes and those around them learned lessons in life and grew from them as part of their development." (That was an apology, in case you missed it.) .....the judge reassured her that he'd learned a valuable life lesson. Well, whew.

Indeed, the whole piece by Dahlia Lithwick can be written using the "quality" terminology. I wonder what would happen if companies offer this type of an excuse when they are sued (by lawyers) for defective products: the most recent one that I recall, which made big headlines, being the Ford-Firestone tire-tread related accidents. It cost Ford some $2 billion plus to replace the tires and might also have led to the departure of Jac Nasser.

Any thoughts? If not, we can always use the delete bottom for straying too far from our "quality" objectives..Ladies and Gentlemen, I repeat, please, do not take offense. Oops, this is a SLO for me!!!

Charmed :)

Top Bottom