Annual Performance Appraisal - Person vs. Function/Business

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
Having the goals of department&function and individual persons is given (can be conveniently taken for-granted)
1) Does your team discuss best achievement/performer/contributor among the team?

2) how often do you find the person who is actually rated/adjudged as best-performer to be actually doing the best-job!!! (subjectivity in the assessment... of adjudging best performance)

S

samsung

Answer to your first question is - generally NO and that to second one - Seldom it happens.

I second to the idea suggested by Tamale since most Cove members, as I suppose, are either auditors or consultants and hence might not provide the kind of responses that can be expected from 'employees'.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
<snip>...since most Cove members, as I suppose, are either auditors or consultants and hence might not provide the kind of responses that can be expected from 'employees'.

Are you suggesting that auditors are not evaluated for their performance? :cool:

While there are quite a few auditors and consultants on here, I doubt they have been in such roles all of their professional lives and probably could add value in their responses to the Original Poster.

v9991 said:
Having the goals of department&function and individual persons is given (can be conveniently taken for-granted)

Please explain your use of "taken for-granted". I have my own theory here but I do not wish to presume anything.

v9991 said:
1) Does your team discuss best achievement/performer/contributor among the team?

This is working with the belief that the team members share or influence the same metrics. Not always the case. My existing team, for example, we are all working on different projects with vastly different focuses. I suppose we could influence one KPI of "Internal Customer Satisfaction", but as we are all at different stages of our projects, our level of influence on it varies from person-to-person at any given point in time.

What I have seen are department metrics and then personal goals show that each metric has a different weight, depending on the individual's role/responsibilties.

Example - John Doe may be a better performer at something but that's because (a) he does it every day and I do not, and (b) it has a heavier weight on his evaluation than on mine so he is more careful to excel in this area.

v9991 said:
2) how often do you find the person who is actually rated/adjudged as best-performer to be actually doing the best-job!!! (subjectivity in the assessment... of adjudging best performance)

It really depends on how the metrics are set up. I have seen metrics established that go from site down to department down to crew level (they did not go to individual level).

Example - Customer complaints per 'x' Tons manufactured. We saw how we as a site were doing. We could break it down to department. We could then break it down to crew level (thanks to our traceability). This allowed us to objectively determine who had lower complaint rates and then take action (if needed).

S

samsung

Are you suggesting that auditors are not evaluated for their performance? :cool:

No, really I didn't mean so. What I meant are the professionals (auditors & consultants) not dependent on employers as the salaried employees do.

Top Bottom