Anodized Aluminum Surface Defects - Stains, raised surfaces, imperfections

P

Phil Fields

Worldquality,
Not exactly what I was looking for, but this is a big help.

Much appreciation,
Phil

W

world quality

Phil, go here and i think this will help you and what you are looking for:

www. pfonline.com/articles/0205qf1.html

Let me know

xfngrs

Quite Involved in Discussions
This is not a inspection as much as auditing and approviding but it might help you to put the anodizer in his place.

It is AIAG CQ11 Plating assessment.

A bit off topic, but is anodizing definitely considered part of CQ11 or were you just suggesting a similiar format for an inspection?

We have been wondering if anodizing is a required process under the CQI requirements and haven't been able to locate anything yet.

W

world quality

Xfngrs,

You are wright, only passavate is listed. There is ASTM spec's for Anodzing for guide lines.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
The closest standard, even though it has been superseded was MIL-A-8625.

As for the issues that you have been experiencing, there are some things that could cause them:

1. Improper cleaning before they left your company
2. Improper cleaning at the supplier providing the service
3. Machining roughness

These are just some of the causes, in my opinion.

One thing to remember is that when parts are sent to anodizing they will only enhance what may be wrong.

There are a few things that you can consider:

The supplier of the service has specific steps to apply the anodizing coat: They are required to clean, dry, etch, apply the coat and rinse. They are also required to change water (both the rinse bath and the anodizing bath). If this isn't followed, it could add contamination/discoloration to the product.

Last edited:
W

world quality

XFNGS

This should help

Attachments

• Background on Anodizing.doc
    40 KB · Views: 188
W

world quality

XFNGS

Here is a eval for anodizing

Attachments

• Test Methods For Evaluating Anodized Aluminum.doc
    95 KB · Views: 216
P

Phil Fields

Thanks to all for the replies.
Our supplier visited our location two weeks ago, they were visiting from China. From our complaint, they evaluated their supply chain further. The aluminum extrusion was going direct to the anodizer, without having the parts being looked at for any 2nd operation for clean up.
Steps have now been added to address any surface nonconformances and any cleanliness issues. New parts look very good.

Phil

Top Bottom