ASQ Presentation Assistance

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
I agreed to present for 45 minutes to ASQ on a topic of ISO 14971, and equipment calibration risks. Throw some ideas at me, please. I have a good base going but need more food for thought.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Do you mean like risks to be assessed under a 14971-based process when using calibrated equipment? In use (of the product), in V&V, in production? In whatever scenario, the equipment could be reporting incorrect data on which decisions are made. Maybe you have a laser system and part of the procedure is to confirm the laser output is in a particular range (using a calibrated meter). Incorrect data reported could lead to treatment with actual power output too low (ineffective treatment) or actual power output too high (burns / other harms). Is that where you're going?

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
I am focusing on using risk to determine calibration frequencies, maintenance, Back up equipment, Model selection (Premium or low cost)

Agenda is 3 items

•A review of specific text of ISO 13485, ISO 14971 and FDA regarding metrology and calibration and how risk can be in used in the planning of these processes.
•A review of FDA Findings regarding calibration
•Ideas to consider for risk-based metrology planning

Last edited:

LUFAN

Quite Involved in Discussions
I've found that small and mid sized companies tend to rely on excel and for calibration notifications which always seems like a recipe for disaster. Other types of software options or suggestions on how to better handle reminders of infrequent calibration would be informational to me at least.

Other avenue is the use of Calibration Standards when used seldomly. Some manufacturers will say they don't need recalibration, but from personal experience, I got a finding for using the MFGs suggestion despite pushing back on it.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
Let's see... because of the tie to 14971, it seems to me that you want to present a strawman 'rating scale' and demonstrate how (or if) a change in the calibration frequency could be reflected in a change in ratings.

Similarly: I can imagine that you can come up with some extreme ends of the spectrum where at one end calibration (effectively) "does nothing" to affect a risk rating and at another end the calibration might actually be the only thing driving the rating.... blah blah RCOA blah fishcakes.

Top Bottom