Attribute Data Gage R&R - Managing Data Sets - Minitab

Hami812

Engineering Program Mg
:bigwave:I have to perform a dry run on Minitab prior to a client a Gage R&R. I noted the client had previous performed what I thought was a Gage R&R< but as it turns out, it was an Attribute Analysis. Can the data used in Attribute Analysis be fitted for Gage R&R or does the testing have to be done differently? Also, when you consider Appraisers, can the appriaser be a PC? If you have 16 slots and your checking electronic blackboxes for some anomaly. Who is the real appraiser the guy who hits the button and awaits the pass/fail, or is the PC who collects the parametric data (unknown to the appraiser in a log file somewhere). Since the Auditor in this case will only want ot see the parametric data, can the operator be considered the appraiser or is it the PC with home grown software, and the parametric detection scheme (Data loggers, D/a COnverters, etc) are what is collecting data and deciding on Pass/Fail?. I have Minitab v16. This may be more a philosophy question, but i need to understand how to select the data rows and columns correctly for samples, appraisers, number of trials. Does the 16 slots testing these Blackboxes, count as number of times samples if they do the testing nearly simultaneously? Sorry.. I am getting hung up on details. I can provide sample data. Bit let me know.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Barbara B

Not all measurement systems (or measurement processes) will only have the two (major) sources of variation gage & appraiser. In real life the outcome of a measurement process will depend on several sources for variation. To evaluate a measurement process appropriately, these sources should be gathered (e. g. with an Wikipedia reference-linkIshikawa_diagram for the measurement process), reviewed and prioritized previous to a measurement uncertainty study.

In the beginning you should also decide what kind of response you want to examine (pass/fail or measurements) and what kind of analysis should be done with the data collected:
  • pass/fail data
    • attribute gage R&R
    • attribute agreement analysis
  • measurements
    • type I gage study
    • gage linearity and bias study
    • gage R&R
    • gage R&R expanded
If the data could be both (attribute and continuous) and the attribute result is simply achieved by categorizing the continuous values (e.g. <10: pass, >=10: fail), you will always get more detailed information out of the values than out of the pass/fail results. (But if your customer insists on an attribute study, you should provide the attribute analysis as well provided the customer knows what he is doing and why he choose this kind of analysis.)

Hami812 said:
Who is the real appraiser the guy who hits the button and awaits the pass/fail, or is the PC who collects the parametric data?
Maybe it is easier to find the answer for the question "If some results were found to be wrong, where would you search for the root cause? Would you at first take a look into the PC and/or software (maybe some kind of bug) OR would you ask guy who hits the button what he did wrong (maybe hitting too hard)?"

Best regards,

Barbara

Hami812

Engineering Program Mg
Barbara,

Thanks very much for the insight. I have Green Belt in DSS, but never had to do a real life GR&R. Sine our customer is evaluating our company vs 2 others, I want to be able to predict what the outcome will be once data is collected starting next week. Amazingly, I seem to be the only one with Minitab v16. I have my challenges ahead.

Again thanks for your insight and experience sharing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Minimum Number of Parts for Attribute (Go / NoGo) Data Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
kedarg6500 Gage R&R for Attribute Data - Pump Noise Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Visual Inspection (Attribute Data) Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 27
J Gage R&R on Attribute Data Using Minitab 14 - Data from Automated Test Systems Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
H Attribute Data Gage R&R - Queries of data from a system Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
G Customer is requesting Variable Data for Attribute Gages in Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Excel .xls Template for Attribute Gage R&R with ORDINAL Data needed Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 10
Antonio Vieira Gage R&R Studies for Attribute Data? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
J How to do attribute data GR&R (Gage R&R)? Do a Kappa study or follow the MSA book? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Transform variable data into attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 24
B Easy Software Needed for Recording Mainly Attribute Data Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
B IATF 16949 Cl. 8.6.6 - Acceptance Criteria - Zero Defects Attribute Data Sampling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Attribute vs Variable Inspection Data ISO 13485 Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P RQL/AQL from Attribute Data Six Sigma 1
M Population failure rate based on attribute data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
F MSA - Measurement System Analysis Attribute Data Crosstab sheet APQP and PPAP 1
B Bayes Success-Run on Attribute Data - Determining Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Reliability of an Attribute Inspection based on Historical Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
V MSA Attribute Data Analysis Study IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Best Attribute Data Sampling Plan - Early Production Containment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Attribute Data MSA for more than 3 Operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Is Cpk required for all Attribute Data Special Characteristics? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
optomist1 Sample Size for Attribute Binary Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
C Process Capability - Attribute Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
M PFMEA (Process FMEA) for Attribute Data Inspection Process FMEA and Control Plans 2
V Sample Size for Attribute Data - Large Production Lots Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
B How many Samples are required in Attribute Data MSA Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C MSA on Attribute Data - Can use Different Parts with Different Cosmetic Issues? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Analyzing Attribute Data - Mechanical Pull Testing of Joint Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
W Sampling Plan problem - Determining Sample Size for both Attribute and Variables Data ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
optomist1 Binary & Attribute Data Measures - Electrical Field Failures or Opens Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
J Attribute Data and Capability Study of Holes in Parts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
J Binary logistic regression for attribute/discrete data Using Minitab Software 7
O Capability Studies: Can I combine Attribute Data and Variables Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
G Attribute Data Inspection Sampling Matrix Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
T Advice on PPAP Attribute Data Capability - Go/No-Go APQP and PPAP 3
T Sorting Out Attribute Data - What is this data telling me? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
kedarg6500 Process Capability for Attribute Data - Excel .xls spreadsheet wanted Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
C Attribute Data - What is the required sample size (medical field)? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
L Process controls on attribute data - Chrome plating manual buffing line Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
R Method to compute Cpk for Attribute Data? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
A Sampling - Measuring and Inspecting a part with both Variable & Attribute Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
Barahir Visual Inspection - Capability Study on Attribute Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
Q Is DPM defective parts per million a form of Attribute Data Sampling? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q ISO/TS 16949 Questions About clause 7.1.2. Attribute Data Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
L MSA 3rd Edition - Attribute Data - Page 134 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D MSA for Attribute Data System - We have a gauge called ?Focus? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
N Finding Sample Size - Data Type is Attribute Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
N Determining Sample Size for Attribute Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A Do we need to perform Stability, Linearity & Bias study for Attribute data? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3