Calibrating Mitutoyo SJ-201P Surface Roughness Testers

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
Anyone have experience calibrating Mitutoyo SJ-201P Surface Roughness Testers? Other models in the family are the SJ-301 and a few others.

I looked on the Mitutoyo website and can't find any traceable tolerances. The only clues are surface roughness specimens and step height specimens; and a reference to some international standards.

One guess is that there is an international spec for surface roughness. The main thing I need to figure out for the moment is if there is a cal, and what standards are used.

Any help appreciated.

J

JaxQC

Like you said there are 2 main types. “Sandpaper” texture sheets that have a defined texture reading listed for them (different grades available) but they wear over use & time. Usually come in (2) & (3) grades as one sample. Another type is a “step” which looks like stairs with very precise rises. I would spend the extra and go with the step. If you go with the sheets, get 2 sets. One for daily morning confirmation checks (gets wear) and one to double check if you run into a question (master).
They should be traceable from whomever you are getting them from so I'm not sure I understand the question about needing an international standard. Could the confusion be in calling them specimens (more variable) where I'd call them actual gage masters?

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I've received a request to calibrate an SJ-201P. I'm trying to determine the procedure, and what laboratory standards are used. Or should the user calibrate it daily (or regularly) with their own specimen?

The other issue is accuracy specifications. There are none listed in OEM documentation. The only reference the OEM makes is compliance to some international standards (ANSI, etc..).

M

milind dinkar sawant

Like you said there are 2 main types. “Sandpaper” texture sheets that have a defined texture reading listed for them (different grades available) but they wear over use & time. Usually come in (2) & (3) grades as one sample. Another type is a “step” which looks like stairs with very precise rises. I would spend the extra and go with the step. If you go with the sheets, get 2 sets. One for daily morning confirmation checks (gets wear) and one to double check if you run into a question (master).
They should be traceable from whomever you are getting them from so I'm not sure I understand the question about needing an international standard. Could the confusion be in calling them specimens (more variable) where I'd call them actual gage masters?

Can we arrange gauge R&R study for mitutoyo make surface roughness tester SJ201?

Z

zancky

I've received a request to calibrate an SJ-201P. I'm trying to determine the procedure, and what laboratory standards are used. Or should the user calibrate it daily (or regularly) with their own specimen?

The other issue is accuracy specifications. There are none listed in OEM documentation. The only reference the OEM makes is compliance to some international standards (ANSI, etc..).
from what I have read from their certification report they use a reference sample according to ISO 5436-1 (certified by Mitutoyo) and their own procedure is somewhat as per ISO 12179

Top Bottom