Calibration Waiver - Calibration by OEM who is not accredited

T

The Fixer

It has just come to my attention that one of my branches has a Test Set (used in the testing/repair of certain MODEMS) which can be calibrated ONLY by the OEM in the U.K..
However, the OEM is not registered to a quality standard and is traceable to "NAMAS" ? (not sure that's the right acronym). Normally, we require N.I.S.T traceability. The only audit they ever had was by BABT in 1983.
Can we issue some sort of waiver that allows us to have the Test Set calibrated by the OEM even under these circumstances ?
The branch has been sending the Test Set to the OEM without knowing they were unregistered.

Glenn

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I would document the situation and let it be. When faced with a sole source this type of situation often arises. There's nothing else you can do anyway. Can't get blood out of a turnip.

H

harvey

NAMAS is the previous name of what is now called UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) and is approximately equivalent to NVLAP or A2LA in US. NAMAS/UKAS provides third party accreditation of calibration laboratories. If your OEM's accreditation is still valid, this ensures traceability to UK National Standards, equivalent to NIST.

Top Bottom