Can a DFMEA (Design FMEA) effectively analyse design modifications?

R

rlaurenti

Design changes always create an increased potential failure in the design. However, can the traditional FMEA approach effective analyse the effects of the design modifications? Or, does the FMEA analysis provide the adequate means to thoroughly analyse design changes???
Regards,
Rafael

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Can FMEA effective analyse design modifications?

Design changes always create an increased potential failure in the design. However, can the traditional FMEA approach effective analyse the effects of the design modifications? Or, does the FMEA analysis provide the adequate means to thoroughly analyse design changes???
Regards,
Rafael

Don't confuse FMEA (the process) with FMEA (the document produced by the process). Effective analysis is up to the individuals performing it, and they should not feel constrained by the "traditional" approach. Design changes should be analyzed for potential failures resulting from them, and how you conduct the analysis is up to you, although you might have customers that expect you to document the analysis in a particular format.

R

rlaurenti

Don't confuse FMEA (the process) with FMEA (the document produced by the process). Effective analysis is up to the individuals performing it, and they should not feel constrained by the "traditional" approach. Design changes should be analyzed for potential failures resulting from them, and how you conduct the analysis is up to you, although you might have customers that expect you to document the analysis in a particular format.

Yeah, I know it. So, accordingly with your explanation, the answer is that both FMEA process or procedure (AIAG standard, for instance) and document cannot. Am I right?
Regards,
Rafael

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Yeah, I know it. So, accordingly with your explanation, the answer is that both FMEA process or procedure (AIAG standard, for instance) and document cannot. Am I right?
Regards,
Rafael

Sorry Rafael, but I don't understand the question. "Both FMEA process... and document cannot" what?

R

rlaurenti

Sorry Rafael, but I don't understand the question. "Both FMEA process... and document cannot" what?

Sorry Jim, I couldn't express myself clear.
I meant, neither the FMEA (the process), nor the FMEA document.
Is it comprehensible now?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Regards,
Rafael
1. Design changes do not 'always' create an increased design failure rate or induce new failure modes.
2. Yes - You can evaluate the effects of a design change/modification using a Design FMEA (DFMEA).
3. A Design FMEA is only one part of a robust design system, which a design change should be a sub-part of as a feedback loop.

In your question, the question I have is:
What is the difference between a design modification and a design change?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Sorry Jim, I couldn't express myself clear.
I meant, neither the FMEA (the process), nor the FMEA document.
Is it comprehensible now?

You're still leaving information out. Try filling in the blank:
"Neither the FMEA (the process), nor the FMEA document _________."

R

rlaurenti

1. Design changes do not 'always' create an increased design failure rate or induce new failure modes.
2. Yes - You can evaluate the effects of a design change/modification using a Design FMEA (DFMEA).
3. A Design FMEA is only one part of a robust design system, which a design change should be a sub-part of as a feedback loop.

In your question, the question I have is:
What is the difference between a design modification and a design change?

The statement design changes always create an increased potential failure in design was taken from:
  • Schmitt, R., Krippner, D., Hense, K., Schulz, T. 2007, Keine Angst vor Änderungen! Robustes Design für Innovative Produkte, Qualität und Zuverlässigkeit, 52(03): 24-26.
  • Chao, L. P., Ishii, K. 2007, Design Process Error Proofing: Failure Modes and Effects Analysis of the Design Process, Journal of Mechanical Design, 129(5): 491-551
Do you use any other tool or procedure to aid FMEA in the analysis of design changes?

I used the therms change and modification as synonymous.
Thanks for you comments.

R

rlaurenti

You're still leaving information out. Try filling in the blank:
"Neither the FMEA (the process), nor the FMEA document _________."

OK.
Neither the FMEA (the process), nor the FMEA document can effectively analyse design modifications.

Top Bottom