CE self-certify, or needs testing by 3rd party?

M

moflint

I'm having difficulty finding an answer on whether I can self-certify my product which is a Portable infrared heat lamp (or "dry" sauna).

It falls under the Low Voltage Directive (LVD), and specifically IEC 60598-2-4 Portable Luminaries and ICE 60598-2-20 Lighting Chains.

The device consists of 3 or 4 incandescent bulbs (total of 1000W at 240v, 50-60hz, 4 amps) connected in parallel by terminal block, and an ON/OFF switch. No other components. It's basically a light switch for a 1kw incandescent lamp.

I found a webpage that shows legislation (not sure if it's exclusive) covered by NANDOs (notified bodies) but it doesn't include the LVD.
EUROPA - European Commission - Growth - Regulatory policy - NANDO

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
I'm having difficulty finding an answer on whether I can self-certify my product which is a Portable infrared heat lamp (or "dry" sauna).

It falls under the Low Voltage Directive (LVD), and specifically IEC 60598-2-4 Portable Luminaries and ICE 60598-2-20 Lighting Chains.

The device consists of 3 or 4 incandescent bulbs (total of 1000W at 240v, 50-60hz, 4 amps) connected in parallel by terminal block, and an ON/OFF switch. No other components. It's basically a light switch for a 1kw incandescent lamp.

I found a webpage that shows legislation (not sure if it's exclusive) covered by NANDOs (notified bodies) but it doesn't include the LVD.
EUROPA - European Commission - Growth - Regulatory policy - NANDO

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
You don't need a notified body for the LVD, but you do need to have the evidence to back up your claim.

M

moflint

Al - I'm not sure my question should have been in regard to Notified Bodies. So if I do the prescribed tests in-house and produce the technical document, that's acceptable without getting another lab or 3rd party testing body involved?

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Al - I'm not sure my question should have been in regard to Notified Bodies. So if I do the prescribed tests in-house and produce the technical document, that's acceptable without getting another lab or 3rd party testing body involved?
You certainly can do the evaluation and testing to the relevant standards without getting a 3rd party involved.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
@Al_Rosen is correct, but there may be more scrutiny if you don't use an accredited test lab. Just be aware of that when you make your decision.

rickpaul01

Involved in HankyPanky
I have been self certifying for about 5 years. Have not had any problems. Knock on wood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom