Charter Flight Websites or Services

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
TSA's latest announcement banning all fluids (toothpaste even) from carry-on luggage is the icing on a very sour cake. Many passengers are growing tired of the invasive security screenings, the increasing prices, lost and stolen luggage, and the decreasing quality of service with commercial flights in the United States. However, given the geographical size of this country and the lack of rail options, flight remains the only practical method of travel for most destinations. Can anyone suggest alternative flight services? Are there websites that connect Cessna or other small scale air charter services with interested passengers? I've found CharterX and CharterHub but they seem more geared toward executives looking for jets.

Does anyone have experience traveling this way? Is the price point a lot higher, making this a dumb idea (just resign yourself to buying toiletries at every destination and prepare for the mandatory anal probes)?"

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Fortunately I no longer travel that much. A few years ago I was flying somewhere every other week.
And my current company, the owner has 6 seater two engine plane to take people on business trips and to the sister plant... I haven't gotten to fly on it yet.
Banning the drinks is super annoying... all the health experts say you should drink a lot of water when flying. THey should come up with a way to mitigate that one.
Banning that other stuff doesn't bother me so much... just check your bag. That's just an inconvienience.

What would REALLY bother me is if they end up banning electronic devices. I couldn't imagine a long flight without my laptop for movies and games.

C

Craig H.

Discordian said:
What would REALLY bother me is if they end up banning electronic devices. I couldn't imagine a long flight without my laptop for movies and games.

According to the paper this morning, you would be out of luck. Even electronic key fobs are disallowed.

Q

QualityPhD

For those of us who routinely make the mad dash to the airport after the closing meeting, this is a major problem! Missing one flight on Monday evening will certainly create havoc with audits scheduled for the remainder of the week -- with the schedulers at the registrars already not being cognizant that an auditor cannot audit all day, then drive 2 hours to an airport and still make a 6:00pm flight, this will certainly baffle many and create undue stress (and many missed flights) for auditors....

Since I am generally in a pi$$y mood anyway -- lack of sleep, driving 1000 miles a week, clients who just don't 'get it'.. this will be an adventure!

More info on the plight a the weary road warrior next week... as this week I am in the car... Cleveland, Ohio to Tiffin, Ohio to Franklin Furnace, Ohio to Detroit, Michigan to Cleveland, Ohio === should be about a thousand miles and 17 hours of driving... I hope I find time to work:notme:

R

ralphsulser

QualityPhD said:
Since I am generally in a pi$$y mood anyway -- lack of sleep, driving 1000 miles a week, clients who just don't 'get it'.. this will be an adventure!

More info on the plight a the weary road warrior next week... as this week I am in the car... Cleveland, Ohio to Tiffin, Ohio to Franklin Furnace, Ohio to Detroit, Michigan to Cleveland, Ohio === should be about a thousand miles and 17 hours of driving... I hope I find time to work:notme:

I grew up near Tiffin. If you get too stressed out there is state mental facility there to provide some R&R :D

Q

QualityPhD

Need the address.... going back in 2 weeks for another assignment.... when the "folks in white coats" see me in the parking lot of the hotel flying my kite (the big purple jellyfish), I want to be able to tell my family where to visit.

You'd think no one there ever saw a kite.... was like the circus coming to town

D

Don Palmer

Marc said:
Does anyone have experience traveling this way? Is the price point a lot higher, making this a dumb idea (just resign yourself to buying toiletries at every destination and prepare for the mandatory anal probes)?"

I have no 'experience traveling this way', but during the mid to late 80's I worked for a charter flight company and the going rate then was about $2700.00 per flight hour. That was pretty much the going rate back then. I've no clue what today's rates are.

Flying charter is not a dumb idea if you've got lots of $$$$. But if you don't have lots of $$$$ get used to the 'mandatory anal probes'.:whip:

:2cents:

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Mr

QualityPhD said:
For those of us who routinely make the mad dash to the airport after the closing meeting, this is a major problem! Missing one flight on Monday evening will certainly create havoc with audits scheduled for the remainder of the week -- with the schedulers at the registrars already not being cognizant that an auditor cannot audit all day, then drive 2 hours to an airport and still make a 6:00pm flight, this will certainly baffle many and create undue stress (and many missed flights) for auditors....

Here is where the rub in all this is right now....I routinely go from Maryland to NJ for business. Historically, I would take the train or rent a car and drive. With gas prices going up on a steep incline, the Amtrak Northeast Corridor trains are packed, and becoming less conducive to work. It has actually become cheaper in many cases to fly to NJ than to drive, though truth be told, I still drive because I hate the little puddle jumpers.

By the way, the way I understand it is that you cannot bring liquid through security checkpoints. I do not believe it will stop people from purchasing water in the terminal. I could be wrong here.

Finally, I can see US business folks going to the Far East or Europe flying through Canada or Mexico if the restrictions on carry on get too restrictive.

D

Don Palmer

:topic:

ralphsulser said:
I grew up near Tiffin. If you get too stressed out there is state mental facility there to provide some R&R :D

There's a famous potato chip factory in Tiffin isn't there? Ballreich

My Mom still gets these chips by mail order. Great chips!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Don Palmer

Security Checkpoints

Statistical Steven said:
By the way, the way I understand it is that you cannot bring liquid through security checkpoints. I do not believe it will stop people from purchasing water in the terminal. I could be wrong here.

TSA interview on our local news last night stated that 'there will be two security checkpoints' now. One prior to entering the concourse and the second at boarding. They further stated that no liquids (even bottled water) would be permitted on the plane. Only exceptions, bottles of milk, juice, etc. for baby and medically required prescribed items.

Top Bottom