Combined Procedure - Control of Non-conforming Product, Corrective and Preventive

H

heartlyn

Hello,

This is my 2nd time to post a query. I just want to know if it is okay to have these procedures combined in one - Control of Non-conforming Product, Corrective and Preventive action. I have attached here our procedure and I hope you could help me on reviewing it. We are only starting implementing the ISO 9001:2008 in the company.

I appreciate any advise or suggestions you could give. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
It is OK... for a short answer
Please address how your company will meet the standard's requirements in both these within the procedure.
While one is about the NC in your product (How a NC product is controlled)., the CA is about process and product NC's .. add customer complaints too.
I am more comfortable in a CA + PA procedure.

(Note: I have not read your attached procedure)

Last edited:
H

heartlyn

Thanks Somashekar. I was actually planning to separate them but then we have already that combined procedure which is attached so if it is okay, I would just revised them with the good suggestions. I'm still hoping one could give me a clear understanding on this matter.

Don't do it - plus you have made it a requirement to treat NC Product by taking corrective action. You will bring the place to a halt! Even ISO 9001 allows you to simply fix the issue. By combining procedures you are missing vitally important steps - can I ask if you understand completely how these ISO requirements are supposed to work. They are completely separate "entities" and can be linked, by example, through "data analysis"...

H

heartlyn

That's what I thought. In my previous company, we have separate procedures & when I came here, they have it combined already. I am not that expert in ISO though but I am trying to understand.

Project Man

Involved In Discussions
I agree with AndyN.
Control of non-conforming product and your CAPA need to be separate procedures.
Non-conforming product needs to be able to follow a path that easily (but clearly) allows it to either be reworked or scrapped. Yes, this process has similarities to the CAPA process but is definitely not the same thing.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
control of nonconforming product, corrective action and preventive action are separate processes. as another responder mentioned you can certainly move from one to the other through data analysis but they also can - and should - be initiated from independent events.

These separate processes can be combined in a single document but that approach does present additional complications that are not present if you created 3 separate documents...

V

Vthouta

Independent procedures would be really helpful for the ISO. For example: When you need to update the procedure everytime, you need to verify both the sections. Importantly, when you have an external audit, the auditor would be reviewing the revision history of the document and there is more room to ask for questions and investigate why these were combined, even though it might be correct. In other words, just inviting trouble and making easy for auditors.

Vik

H

heartlyn

Thank you everyone. I have decided to separate them now to avoid complications. I have already completed the Control of Non-conforming Product Procedure, now I am going to start doing the CAPA. Thank you for the suggestions. :)

SheiLaJP

Involved In Discussions
That's true. It is better to separate them. Coz here we do separate, corrective & preventive action & handling of non-conformance. in that manner, you'll be able to create a process correctly and efficiently.

:thanx:

SheiLaJP

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Risk/Opportunity in a combined ISO 9001 & 14001 System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R Sequence and Interaction - Combined for both ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 combined audit checklist General Auditing Discussions 5
A Combined ISO 13485 Certification with ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
F Control Points in a combined BRCv6 and IFS v6 system Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
J Can I conduct Internal Audit for combined ISO 9001, ISO 13485 and ISO 14001? Internal Auditing 37
P Applying Combined Tolerances of Two Scales - Balance Tolerance Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Combined Quality Manual for ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 50001 and OHSAS 18001 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
E QP (Qualified Person) for Combined Pharma-Medical Devices Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
G ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 Combined Quality Manual ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
H Two Business Units Combined in the same Building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Ppk for Combined Data Sets Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
S Combined Uncertainty of an Indirect Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
B Calculating Combined DPMO and Sigma Level for Two or More Different Work Areas Six Sigma 3
Jerry Eldred Combined Uncertainty With Multiple DC Reference Standards Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
A Calculating Combined Measurement Uncertainty - VDA 5 Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
P Separate procedures? ISO 14k System combined with OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
D What is required in a combined ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
F Combined ER/EP Checklist template that covers both MDD ERs and Australian EPs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N NCR (Nonconformance Report) Combined with Corrective Action Report? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
B Combined ISO 9001/ISO 14001 Internal Audits Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
S IFU for combined OTC Medical Device in light of IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Ajit Basrur Combined Search by Baidu and Google After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
somashekar OSHAS 18001 and ISO 14001 Combined Survelliance Audit Manday Guidelines Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
T Quality Check Sheet combined with Work Instruction Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
F What Combination (Combined Advanced Therapy Product) Products are Approved in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Interaction of Processes for both ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 Combined Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S Error Accumulation - Combined Result without going to Partial Derivitaves Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
J Registrars Doing Synchronized (Combined) Audits to AS9100 and ISO 13485 Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
D FDA Requirements for Combined Software US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
harrysons Combined checklist for ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO/TS 16949? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C IMS (ISO 14001/ BS OHSAS 18001) combined Audit Checklist & Schedule ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R CAPA (Corrective Action Preventive Action) Procedures Separate or Combined Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
B Cl. 4.4.7 (Emergency Preparedness) Combined ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
W ISO 13485, ISO 9001, and AS9100 Combined QMS Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
B Combined ISO 9001 and ISO14001 audit Internal Auditing 5
W ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100 combined Quality Manual (Systems Manual) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 53
L Combined Corrective and Preventive Action Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
P Combined ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Manual and System Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
I Combined ISO 14001 / OHSAS 18001 Implementation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
P Auditing to Combined ISO9001 and ISO14001 Systems General Auditing Discussions 5
Marc Combined ISO 9001:2000 ISO 14001:2004 Compliance Audit Form General Auditing Discussions 8
A Relative or Combined Type A & Type B Uncertainty Calculation? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
P ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 17025 combined Quality Manual needed ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
T Pros and Cons of Combined TS 16949 and ISO 14001 Audits General Auditing Discussions 3
Jen Kirley "Micro Combined-Heat-and-Power" System (micro-CHP) - The future of home energy? World News 10
Claes Gefvenberg MR Agenda - Combined Quality, Environmental & Energy Mgmt System Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
H What are the Current OHSAS 18001 & ISO 14001 Revisions & Combined Systems Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 37