Commercial requirements and outdated/superseded specs

Black Ships

Involved In Discussions
Good afternoon.

I am facing an issue with old standards. I am writing a new spec for a tubular reprocessor. Tubes comply (more or less) with EN 10305:2016 (Steel tubes for precision applications). We are updating internal procedures, but we face an issue with the commercial department. They INSIST that their customers don't order the pies to new EN (or ASTM) standards, but rather DIN 2391 which was replaced with the DIN EN 10305 std in 2003. However, commercial guys seem to be stubborn on their position: "No reference to internal procedures, no reference to EN, our market is firmly asking for DIN 2391".

The general manager asked me if an item can be ordered to an outdated standard.

My answer was "yes, provided they state SPECIFICALLY the year of publication in the P.O." (as a matter of fact, the 1994 standard is still for sale at most standard sites like Beuth.de). Of course I suggested to go otherwise, and we are doing a thorough analysis to prove it, but in the meantime... it is indeed possible to order an item (pipes in this case) under an outdated standard? Providing the date of publication?

Thanks!

DIN 2391 page at Beuth.de

Black Ships

Involved In Discussions
What are the regulatory requirements, and do they apply to you?

There are no regulatory requirements that the company is aware of. Only a remote reference to tensile strength (> 350 MPa, easily accomplished with all standards), that one of the customers once mentioned, without any other specifics. Uses are small workshops that manufacture custom solutions, that are not covered by any standard.

Give the customer what they want then. If possible, manufacture to the old and the new standard, and give these products different part numbers. The customer will order what they want.

Black Ships

Involved In Discussions
Give the customer what they want then. If possible, manufacture to the old and the new standard, and give these products different part numbers. The customer will order what they want.
Well, they already get what they want. Both specs are identical performance wise, but QA is very picky about outdated specs.... Ir is more a balancing act between the commercial (DIN 2391) guys and the QA people (EN 10305). The customer really does not care that much!

edit: The customer actually requests also an UPPER limit to the yield strength which is an additional requirement for both DIN and EN, because of formability concerns. A properly delivered pipe complies with both DIN/EN and customer requirements. The opposite is not true. This is why I proposed a specific procedure. But commercial dept. does not want to change and management is asking if we can keep FOR NOW the old fashion DIN designation

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
it is indeed possible to order an item (pipes in this case) under an outdated standard? Providing the date of publication?
Of course it is. For example, in the US, there are some military programs such as the B-52 and A 10 aircraft that are many decades old. Spare parts are purchased against designs that call many ancient standards, including Mil specs. Nothing wrong with that.

Black Ships

Involved In Discussions
Of course it is. For example, in the US, there are some military programs such as the B-52 and A 10 aircraft that are many decades old. Spare parts are purchased against designs that call many ancient standards, including Mil specs. Nothing wrong with that.
Thanks!

Top Bottom