Computerized QMS records and ISO 17025 status tagging

Avraham Harris

Involved In Discussions
Dear Forum members,

I have two questions that are concerning me these days regarding our QMS system.
1) Our company is migrating to a computerized system that will organize and manage a number of aspects of the system (e.g., Document control, change control, training, MRB, CAPA, calibrations and preventive maintenance).

Until now we had a number of forms (controlled with doc. Number, version and date) that would record the various aspects of the above activities/ processes. In the computerized system, there are electronic records that can be created automatically from the database entries, and printed up as a quality record (and signed and dated). How would we maintain control of these records? (They are not forms, and do not have form numbers, versions etc…). Would signing and dating be enough?
I should note that it is a part 11 compliant system. And I would like us to circumnavigate the need for validating their system (e.g., by relying solely on electronic records, and not on hardcopies).

2) I learned this week that according to the ISO/IEC 17025, calibration tags are not necessary (applied by calibrating laboratory), and if they are applied, then they must not contain the next calibration date, unless as a suggestion (and this is only if requested by the customer). Rather, the manufacturer must determine the serviceable status of the equipment and then either 1) apply tags with this info, or 2) store the info on record and ensure that no non-serviceable equipment is readily accessible in the lab for using.

Our old system of tagging was more like a company-applied calibration tag (a concept that does not seem to currently exist). This method did not make any determination of serviceable status, only the actual and next calibration dates.

I am now considering redoing the system, and am not sure what system to prefer (1 or 2) or a third. Do you have a suggestion?

Thank you very much in advance

Avraham

BTW - I have read the thread regarding calibration tags.

Avraham Harris

Involved In Discussions
Well, let me try to elicit some response:

The initial feedback I received from a colleague who is VP Quality at a medical device company:

To use records produced by the computerized QMS system, we would have to incorporate (through the vendor) into the printed record, a header containing the document number, version number and date.

Has anyone else any experience or insights into this issue?

While I have you on the phone, uhh thread....
- regarding version dates / vs. effective dates. Are effective dates necessary, or can we suffice with version dates. The latter does not say by when the procedure/ WI/ RC etc is to be implemented, Rather only the date the revision was made.

And finally - regarding effective dates - I have a Dir. of Mnaufacturing who feels that the effective date on a route card must be identical to that of the WI it is associated with. Is this true?

Thank you,

Avraham

Moderator - feel free to move this post (copy) to a more appropriate thread (due to the last issue discussed).

Top Bottom