Corner Radius & Fillet Radius Differences

• Thread starter Parthasarathy2013
  • Start date
P

Parthasarathy2013

Hi,

I work for an Aerospace company and in the drawings provided by Customers, there is a general note mentioning " Corner and Fillet radius should be from .XXX to .YYY".

Can someone help in bringing more clarity in difference between them and I know for sure that Break Edges are different from both of them.

My understanding is the Corner Radius will be a radius of the internal intersection of two planes and Fillet could be used for welded joints for the same intersection of the planes.

Please help me to understand the difference between both.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards,
Partha

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Don't know if there is special instances for you, but usually a fillet radius is for an inside corner, and a corner radius for an outside corner.

J0anne

Joanne
Hello Partha. The fillet radius is created by adding extra material to remove the otherwise sharp internal corners and adds strength to the part.

I think this answers your question.

K

kgott

Hi,

I work for an Aerospace company and in the drawings provided by Customers, there is a general note mentioning " Corner and Fillet radius should be from .XXX to .YYY".

Can someone help in bringing more clarity in difference between them and I know for sure that Break Edges are different from both of them.

My understanding is the Corner Radius will be a radius of the internal intersection of two planes and Fillet could be used for welded joints for the same intersection of the planes.

Please help me to understand the difference between both.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards,
Partha

Fillet radius might be referring to fillet welds. In welding there is a thing call a fillet weld where one piece of material is welded perpendicular onto another piece of material, as in a 'T' shape.

A corner radius may be referring to a rounded corner at the end or on the side of a sheet of material, as like an 'L' shape

D

DRAMMAN

Ask your customer for clarification. They would rather you ask than make assumptions.....trust me on this.

S

Sivakumar CS

HI

CORNER RADIUS IS RELATED TO MATERIAL REMOVAL TO AVOID SHARP CORNERS WHEREAS FILLET RADIUS IS MATERIAL ADDITION TO STRENGTHEN THE FABRICATED OR MACHINED STRUCTURE.

HOPE THIS WILL CLARIFY YOUR DOUBTS

WITH REGARDS

SHIVA

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom