Corrective and Preventive Action - State Maximum time for follow-up required?

• Thread starter EtobiLad - 2009
  • Start date

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Corr. and Prev Action, do you have to state the maximum time for follow-up?

Thanks wayne,
Well in our procedure the minimum to follow-up with the action was 4 weeks to see effectiveness. I do not see this as the maximum.. :bonk: but rather should it be stated like to be followed up within the minimum and the maximum period?

Well, there's no need to specify an all-encompassing time period in the procedure; you can just say "reasonable," then set a time for followup for each instance, doing whatever makes sense. In some cases you can verify effectiveness immediately, and it others you might not be able to do it for months, or ever. If the auditor says you have to have a "maximum" time specified in the procedure, ask him/her the magic 3-word question: Where's the beef "shall"?

"the review of actions taken: not defined in the procedure as to the maximum time allowed, no evidence seen for verification. "
I suspect that what the auditor was getting at was the absence of any guidance as to when followup should take place, as opposed to looking for some specific time period.

Last edited:
F

fuzzy

But should I be written up for these? for no maximum stated.

Not in my opinion...what was that other phrase; no evidence seen for verification? :confused: Of any CAR's? Of the the one or two the auditor selected? :frust: More information would help me feel more certain about my "NO".:2cents:

E

EtobiLad - 2009

Does your form have a place for the due date of the corrective action? A maximum time should not be stated in a procedure but a required response date could be stated on the form.

No we do not, but only a place after the actions are taken and signed and dated by the individual. Nothing regarding response date...

Yeah - that's what we do. We determine approximately how long it will take to implement the action and how long it will need to be in place before we can determine the effectiveness. Sometimes we extend the date for various reasons.

Yeah - and the clause cited. Was this an external or internal audit?

But my question is against what requirement. This was and internal audit (3rd party consultant if you may)

F

fuzzy

No we do not, but only a place after the actions are taken and signed and dated by the individual. Nothing regarding response date...

But my question is against what requirement. This was and internal audit (3rd party consultant if you may)

There are no requirements to have due dates / minimum or maximum follow-up dates/ or pink colored forms :notme:. Read the Standard and make your system work for you.:mad:

Top Bottom