CQE/SSGB Qualifications and Requirements

K

knockoutjm

Hi all,

My name is Jordan, I am pretty young, 22, and am working in a pharmaceutical packaging company in charge of the Continuous Improvement Team. I graduated with a BS in Chemical Engineering with pharmaceutical specialization. Since graduation I have worked on validation primarily but have extended much further to all quality projects where I hold total project ownership and responsibility. My employer is interested in me receiving both of these certifications eventually and wanted me to take one exam this June.

When I looked to register for them the qualifications for them are: CQE - 8 Years (4 may be college) and SSGB - 3 Years (no education). As far as it comes, I am not qualified to take either unless CQE will include the two years of research I did at college which would put me just about 8 years, definitely past that by the exam date. I spoke to someone using the chat function on the ASQ site and it was a little unsettling. The individual I spoke to was adamant that no exceptions can be made at all. I received an email from another individual at ASQ saying that the only way to find out is if I pay my application fee and get rejected where I will get a portion of the cost back. It feels like I will not be able to improve myself without waiting 2-3 years to test even if I can study and pass the exam.

I was curious if anyone here had any advice on either taking these or other certifications, ways to improve my career, and other ways. I am currently looking into a MS degree at St. Johns in Regulatory Affairs and Quality Assurance to complete in the meantime.

Thank you,
Jordan

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: CQE/SSGB Qualifications

The CQE is considered one of the more "senior" certifications, and yes, there are years of experience requirements. An option is to take the Green Belt or CQIA now if you believe you need a certification. I took my CQE exam back quite a few years ago when certification exam fees were much less. The CQE has been useful, but I must admit I've not pursued other certifications due to the price hike.

K

knockoutjm

Re: CQE/SSGB Qualifications

I took the practice exams and aside from the terminology (on both CQE and SSGB) I thought they were pretty simple to figure out the calculations, where everything comes from and where it should go. I just don't want to feel like I will be left behind because I do not possess a certification or further qualifications.

J

jmann

Hi all,

My name is Jordan, I am pretty young, 22, and am working in a pharmaceutical packaging company in charge of the Continuous Improvement Team. I graduated with a BS in Chemical Engineering with pharmaceutical specialization. Since graduation I have worked on validation primarily but have extended much further to all quality projects where I hold total project ownership and responsibility. My employer is interested in me receiving both of these certifications eventually and wanted me to take one exam this June.

When I looked to register for them the qualifications for them are: CQE - 8 Years (4 may be college) and SSGB - 3 Years (no education). As far as it comes, I am not qualified to take either unless CQE will include the two years of research I did at college which would put me just about 8 years, definitely past that by the exam date. I spoke to someone using the chat function on the ASQ site and it was a little unsettling. The individual I spoke to was adamant that no exceptions can be made at all. I received an email from another individual at ASQ saying that the only way to find out is if I pay my application fee and get rejected where I will get a portion of the cost back. It feels like I will not be able to improve myself without waiting 2-3 years to test even if I can study and pass the exam.

I was curious if anyone here had any advice on either taking these or other certifications, ways to improve my career, and other ways. I am currently looking into a MS degree at St. Johns in Regulatory Affairs and Quality Assurance to complete in the meantime.

Thank you,
Jordan

I had to find out the hard way when I first registered for the CQE, I was approximately 2 months from meeting the time frame so my application was rejected and I was $50 out of pocket. So I would say yes, ASQ is pretty strict to the time frames, however, I would say that's a good thing. Regarding work experience and education, I've found that relevance to the BOKs can be pretty broad so its very easy to meet the requirements.

I have the SSGB certification under my belt as well. For me, neither of these exams have helped my career grow internally but they have helped increase my knowledge. Your company may encourage certifications and take that into account during performance reviews and merit increases but if not, as time goes on, you'll see that other companies when recruiting to place value on these certifications.

One other aspect of ASQ certifications that I find rewarding is that at least for me, it keeps my mind fresh and doesn't let me settle. I look forward to eventually taking the CMQ/OE for that purpose.

Roberticus

ASQ CQE
Quick question or two on this topic. Does the discipline one's degree(s) are in make any difference to the ASQ for CQE qualification. I've got a Masters' in English, so will I be qualified when I've spent three years in a qualifying Quality Engineer position?

Related question, regarding the "Decision-Making position" requirements. As a QE I'm responsible for initiating and executing several types of activities to the point of Management approval, being primarily responsible for CAPA, IQ/OQ/PQ and validations, and Work Instructions. Does my work constitute a "Decision-Making position"; I'm thinking that it does, as otherwise only managers could take the CQE exam?

Last edited:
J

jmann

Quick question or two on this topic. Does the discipline one's degree(s) are in make any difference to the ASQ for CQE qualification. I've got a Masters' in English, so will I be qualified when I've spent three years in a qualifying Quality Engineer position?

Related question, regarding the "Decision-Making position" requirements. As a QE I'm responsible for initiating and executing several types of activities to the point of Management approval, being primarily responsible for CAPA, IQ/OQ/PQ and validations, and Work Instructions. Does my work constitute a "Decision-Making position"; I'm thinking that it does, as otherwise only managers could take the CQE exam?

I would consult with ASQ on the education requirements to make sure but the requirements are vague on the type of degree. Only indicating that it needs to be from an accredited institution accepted by ASQ. I would say your work does meet this expectation as you are making decisions day in and day out that are then presented upper management.

Top Bottom