Critical Characteristics in Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - Inspection Levels

L

luciano

Dear friends,
Should I have a different inspection level for incoming parts with critical characteristics?
For the moment we take 5 parts for every batch(dimensional characteristics). For critical characteristics should I increase the level of inspection ? If I received the capabilities for that characteristics is this enough to maintain the same level (5 parts) of inspections ?
Thank you and God bless all of you.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Critical characteristics in incoming inspection

It think that this control should have been put in incoming process control plan with the sampling agreed with the customer.
Any change shall be discussed again with the customer.
Besides, you should also take under control your supplier. Evaluation of statistical data is one of the possible methods. Others can be second part audit, control and test when the material reaches your site, evaluation of the product done in designeb lab.

Dear friends,
Should I have a different inspection level for incoming parts with critical characteristics?
For the moment we take 5 parts for every batch(dimensional characteristics). For critical characteristics should I increase the level of inspection ? If I received the capabilities for that characteristics is this enough to maintain the same level (5 parts) of inspections ?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Dear friends,

Does your current system work for you? If it does, great. If not, you might want to consider a higher sample size for critical characteristics or parts, or a sample size based on lot size and criticality. Maybe use an AQL sampling plan (I like C=0 plans) based on how much risk you are willing to assume for minor characteristics vs. major or critical characteristics and select the sampling plan accordingly.

T

trainerbob

Keep in mind that it is what works for your organization that counts. There is no magic formula that works for all organizations.

My preference is working with the suppliers to the point you are comfortable with their outgoing parts and then eliminate the receiving inspection. It is truly a win-win situation. They feel better about themselves and will do a better job, and you eliminate the incoming hassle. Think of it in terms of receiving corrective action requests from your customers. Is this something you expect, or do you take all steps to see that it dosen't happen. Your suppliers should be doing the latter for the good of both organizations.

Some organizations seem to forget about "Mutually Beneficial Suppler Relationships".

Maybe all suppliers cannot achieve this state, but most can or it is time to be looking for new suppliers

L

luciano

Keep in mind that it is what works for your organization that counts. There is no magic formula that works for all organizations.

My preference is working with the suppliers to the point you are comfortable with their outgoing parts and then eliminate the receiving inspection.

Do you think it is possibe to eliminate incoming inspection ?

"7.4.3 Verification of purchased product
The organization shall establish and implement the inspection or other activities necessary for ensuring that
purchased product meets specified purchase requirements."

7.4.3.1 Incoming product quality
The organization shall have a process to assure the quality of purchased product (see 7.4.3) utilizing one or more of
the following methods:
 receipt of, and evaluation of, statistical data by the organization;
 receiving inspection and/or testing such as sampling based on performance;
 second- or third-party assessments or audits of supplier sites, when coupled with records of acceptable delivered product quality;
 part evaluation by a designated laboratory;
 another method agreed with the customer."

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Absolutely, under the right conditions, you can eliminate RI. The ISO quotes you posted offer several ideas. It's great if you have suppliers that are good enough.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Dear friends,

Your incoming inspection process should have a goal an objective of trying to eliminate as much incoming inspection as possible. Look at receiving inspection as a data-gathering device, and what you're looking for is data that will justify reducing or eliminating the need for inspection for each item.
What you're referring to in terms of risk abeyance is referred to by materials people as Wikipedia reference-linkABC analysis. In inventory/materials applications it's generally used to gage the value of inventory by categories, but you can do the same thing for incoming inspection.

Last edited:
L

luciano

Your incoming inspection process should have a goal an objective of trying to eliminate as much incoming inspection as possible. Look at receiving inspection as a data-gathering device, and what you're looking for is data that will justify reducing or eliminating the need for inspection for each item.
What you're referring to in terms of risk abeyance is referred to by materials people as Wikipedia reference-linkABC analysis. In inventory/materials applications it's generally used to gage the value of inventory by categories, but you can do the same thing for incoming inspection.

In my plant many people do not imagine to eliminate incoming inspection. For them it is only reality that they know. How should I change this ?

L

luciano

My preference is working with the suppliers to the point you are comfortable with their outgoing parts and then eliminate the receiving inspection. It is truly a win-win situation. They feel better about themselves and will do a better job, and you eliminate the incoming hassle. Think of it in terms of receiving corrective action requests from your customers. Is this something you expect, or do you take all steps to see that it dosen't happen. Your suppliers should be doing the latter for the good of both organizations.

Some organizations seem to forget about "Mutually Beneficial Suppler Relationships".

Maybe all suppliers cannot achieve this state, but most can or it is time to be looking for new suppliers

Could you expain more about this ?

Top Bottom