Custom Tooling for Part Inspection

QualityRoots

Registered
First time poster here, so I hope this is in the right spot...

I work for an aerospace manufacturer operating under AS9100, servicing smaller aircraft manufacturers. The majority of our work is water-jet-cut sheet metal products that are formed into things like brackets and clips on a press brake and then assembled with rivets, pem nuts, nut plates etc... We also have CNC Mills for doing some tighter metalworking that we can't do by hand in our second operations department.

Right now we are relying heavily on our Romer Arm for inspection of more complex parts with an ever increasing amount of GD&T requirements. We have been using our 3D printer to make parts for fixturing/constraining parts for inspection on our Arm and to aid the operators in the 2nd Ops and Machining Dept's.
We recently invested in a higher end printer that we would like to lean on to make more custom inspection fixtures with a goal of being able to "calibrate" or validate a custom tool that can then be used to inspect a part. Ultimately our goal is to reduce the work load on our Romer Arm.

Finally, my question is what do we need to make sure we do in our validation process for the custom tooling before it's used for inspecting parts? Can we validate a custom tool simply by measuring with the Romer Arm and comparing to the model, or do we need to do a more intensive process of putting parts we know are good AND bad and find the effective "operating range" of the tool?

I'm not very well versed in the world of Romer Inspection and tooling so I hope this all makes sense. Thank You!

Top Bottom