Does "Refurbishment" fall under "Service"?

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
I agree that if a piece of equipment is being sold to someone else, that "customer property" doesn't apply. I mentioned this only because some folks will casually treat a 'preventative maintenance' to include 'refurbishment', and I didn't want to elements of 13485 to be ignored without due consideration.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
I was kind of on the fence when I first replied. My initial thought was no, not servicing. But after looking at the content and finding no other better clause, it seemed not inappropriate:

...document servicing procedures, reference materials, and reference measurements, as necessary, for performing servicing activities and verifying that product requirements are met.

(use the data) as appropriate, for input to the improvement process.

Records of servicing activities carried out by the organization or its supplier shall be maintained

I think the intent of refurbishment is to ensure it's meeting requirements. It may well NOT be nonconforming so I don't know why that would always be the case (if it is nonconforming then sure!). Regardless of the clause it falls under I think you would likely have procedures and that following refurbishment, you will verify that product requirements are met, and it's probably a good idea to use that data to see if there are any improvements that can be made. (And, of course, you'll need records of the activities.)

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
It may well NOT be nonconforming so I don't know why that would always be the case
In the context of consumer products, many unsold products are returned to the OEM, still in the original package and are re-sold as refurbished.

In most cases, retrofitting/refurbishing a product would be deemed servicing, irrespective if the actual hardware returns to the original customer or not.

Top Bottom