Ensuring Randomness in Collecting Chicken Samples for Microbiological Testing

S

salah 20012

How can I conduct random sample practically from chickens in a processing plant to select the samples for microbiological testing

M

mguilbert

How can I conduct random sample practically from chickens in a processing plant to select the samples for microbiological testing

The randomness should be quite easy. These birds should already be random. When they were collected in the house they tend to "mix" themselves as they avoid being captured. You could probably collect the quantity you need from different transport cages. I would collect only one bird from a cage. Also try to collect samples from different chicken houses/complexes. If you are in the US it should be easy to determine which house/ complex because of HACCP requirements.

In my opinion, samples of these birds as well as the house should have been sampled for salmonella prior to delivery to the processing facility.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

Thanks for your post - being a Microbiologist, that prompted me to refer some sites and I am posting some links that you may find it useful :)

MICRO ORGANISMS IN FOODS 2 Sampling for microbiological analysis: Principles and specific applications

MICROBIOLOGICAL TESTING FOR PROCESS MONITORING IN THE POULTRY MEAT INDUSTRY

Health Canada : Chapter 5 - Sampling and Testing

Microbiological criterion and value of sampling

Pls come back if you have more questions !

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
salah - you appear to be asking the same question multiple times in different threads. Is there something about our answers that are not helping you?

M

mguilbert

BTW. If you are sampling chickens in a chicken house not transport cages. Remember there are pecking orders and the birds tend to stay in one part of the house. You will need to sample at different points within the house.

Top Bottom