Environmental Impact of Lead in Electronics Production

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Thanks everyone, I also found some links at the same time. wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/Fishing_PDFs/Lead_Out_Brochure_2004.pdf

To answer Randy we had EMS training last week (SAI Global), and our trainer told us to be careful not to mix OH&S issues with Environmental issues. This caused a bit of discussion that was unresolved in my mind.

That is why I wanted to make sure that this Aspect had a clear impact on the environment (outside of us humans). The links everyone has given have helped answer that question.

Now that the question of is lead dangerous to the environment, what are the comments about keeping OH&S issues out of the Aspects & Impacts.

Let me offer a slightly contrary viewpoint. Yes, I realize that the scope in the ISO 14001 standard expressly mentions that it is for environmental, not safety. However, an organization can elect to include any aspect it choses. Many (most) of my EMS clients have chosen to make their 14001 program address EMS and H&S. Why not? You will most likely address both in your company, anyway. Why not combine them? It fits perfectly well. And, if you read OHSAS 18001, it reads almost identically to ISO 14001. The fit is excellent and should be a decision left to the management team. There is nothing in either standards that a good company would not want to do anyway.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Let me offer a slightly contrary viewpoint. Yes, I realize that the scope in the ISO 14001 standard expressly mentions that it is for environmental, not safety. However, an organization can elect to include any aspect it choses.
The chosen (significant)aspects shall be environmental aspects. You can not turn a OH&S aspect into an environmental one. ISO 14001 deals with ENVIRONMENTAL management.

From ISO 14001:
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]This International Standard does not include requirements specific to other management systems, such as those for quality, occupational health and safety, financial or risk management, though its elements can be aligned or integrated with those of other management systems. It is possible for an organization to adapt its existing management system(s) in order to establish an environmental management system that conforms to the requirements of this International Standard. It is pointed out, however, that the application of various elements of the management system might differ depending on the intended purpose and the interested parties involved. [/FONT]
[/FONT]If you want to expand and integrate your EMS with your QMS and OHSMS, excellent. I am all for that too. But if an organization is going for ISO 14001 implementation, they must ensure that all environmental aspects have been considered and the significance criteria has been established and dealt with. If you want guidance on integrating Q, E & S Management Systems, look @ PAS99.

Last edited:
D

dhammonds

Environmental issues and OH&S issues can completely align with each other. If you have lead dust emissions, you have to make them a significant aspect both with the potential health effects to the people working inside your facility, as well as the to the little animals running around outside your facility. Lead effects Bambi the deer the same way it effects Bob the builder.

I have never run into an issue with ANY auditor with crossing H&S and environmental in my EMS. I don't blatantly point out in my programs that safety and health are overriding factors, but in our aspects rating system, health and safety are part of the calculations.

Hi,

My experience shows that any OH & S issue that has a potential to become an environmental issue should be considered under the ISO-14001. For example, storing & handling of gas cylinders may be an OH & S issue, but if the gas involved is toxic (e.g. chlorine, sulphur dioxide etc), I would definitely bring this aspect of storing and handling of gas cylinder under ISO-14001:4.3.1 (in some cases they will also come under 4.3.2). Similar considerations may be applied to chemical substances (including lead...what happens if a stores, storing Sn-Pb solder, catches fire. (> 500 C)..will there be emission of lead vapours, that contaminate the surrounding...including the neighbourhood??...is there a possibility of contamination of land/aquefer due to the water used for putting off the fire ???)..please consider impacts that may arise out of not only normal conditions, but also ab-normal and accidental conditions. In your case, it may also be required to assess the impact of lead in solder of the printed circuit board at the end of life of the product (i.e. impact not only now but also in the future).

By the way, the lead vapour concentration in the workplace due to a soldering operation (say about 250 C for a wave soldering operation or about 350 C for a hand soldering operation) is much below the TLV (TWA) and is considered safe from lead vapour exposure of the operator.

Your trainer is right...we do not, however, work in boxes; it is for you, as an organization, to assess as to whether an OH & S issue needs to be brought under ISO-14001 system or not based on its potential to cause environmental impacts.

Ramakrishnan

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Environmental issues and OH&S issues can completely align with each other. If you have lead dust emissions, you have to make them a significant aspect both with the potential health effects to the people working inside your facility, as well as the to the little animals running around outside your facility. Lead effects Bambi the deer the same way it effects Bob the builder.

I have never run into an issue with ANY auditor with crossing H&S and environmental in my EMS. I don't blatantly point out in my programs that safety and health are overriding factors, but in our aspects rating system, health and safety are part of the calculations.

There is nothing in the ISO 14001 program that precludes an organization from adding OHS to their program. The only prohibition is we auditors cannot require it. Personnaly, I think it makes sense. OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 are textually almost identical.

D

dhammonds

There is nothing in the ISO 14001 program that precludes an organization from adding OHS to their program. The only prohibition is we auditors cannot require it. Personnaly, I think it makes sense. OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 are textually almost identical.

Exactly. I find it strange when posters say you can not include something in your EMS, when the standard doesn't tell you want you can't do. Auditors I have used will point out certain things having a safety and health impact, but it is not something I will or could get cited for.

I will get to find out how close 18001 is to 14001 around this time next year. My company is looking to get certified in OHSAS 18001 around 2009 or so. :bonk:

Top Bottom