Europe Adding RFID Tags to Euro Currency

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
While this is a bit off the direct subject of Internet History, per se, I bet it's our future as well.

An EETimes article a few days ago reports that the European Central Bank is planning to add RFID tags to euro bank notes. This would allow each bill to be tracked whenever it is used, and if the chip includes writable memory, to even record its own history.

Discussion at: SlashDot

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
As I have written in other threads about RFID, this link http://www.frontlinetoday.com/frontline/ is to the industry Bible on Bar Code and RFID. I read it pretty regularly and I don't know of anyone yet making them small enough or robust enough to withstand handling when attached to currency.

There is a whole other issue of privacy. Many European countries using the Euro are much more privacy conscious than USA. If you had a bill with an RFID label, theoretically, you could be scanned from a distance (how far depends on power of equipment) and tracked, in addition to being able to tell how much currency you were carrying. How soon would it be before gangs of crooks acquired the scanners to spot cash-rich targets?

To my mind, the better ideal would be to issue "cash cards" to everyone. Something like credit cards, but no lag time in the transfer - just like cash.

Lots of utopian schemes for RFID, but very little actual coding/labeling of anything except crates and very high end consumer goods. USA is looking to label war materiel. Some companies are looking to label personnel. Go read some archives over there.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
If they do tag currency, I'd love to have the contract to provide them... What a contract!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Donating sterilizing gel - Is it legal in Europe? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Machines in Europe not in compliance with the EC directive CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M One clinical design: Russia and Europe Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
S Differences in CB expectations between the US and Europe Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Informational Medtech Europe presentation – – Industry Perspective on the Implementation Status of the MDR/IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Medtech Europe guidance – Use of Symbols to Indicate Compliance with the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
M Informational Medtech Europe – Open letter to the European Commission on the implementation and readiness status of the new Medical Device Regulation (MDR) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Is Compliance Testing of IEC 60601-2-63 mandatory for Europe - Dental X-Ray machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Informational EC – Guide for referencing standards in public procurement in Europe (JIS Action 11) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News MedTech Europe Statement on the Implant Files Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) Registration in Europe and in MENA countries EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device News MedTech Europe - European Parliament further clarifies Commission proposal on HTA for medical technologies EU Medical Device Regulations 0
I Where to submit Adverse Events Reports in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K CE Mark in Material Testing Machines sold to Europe from the US CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C Exporting Adult Products from Europe to the United States 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Training courses for improving 'Coaching and Mentoring skills' within Europe Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
A US patient gets Medical Device in Europe and needs spare parts 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Need of EU representative if CE marked Med Device not marketed in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R Is there a mandatory medical device warehouse standard for europe? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M CE Mark outside of Europe - Implications EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Is Combination Product regulation available for Europe? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M API Q1 Validation in Europe Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
T Testing Laboratories in Europe to IEC/EN 60601-2-47 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
C Selling of Research products in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D Use By and Expiration Date for a Class 3 Medical Device in Europe CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J Lean Transformation Project - Distribution centre in Europe Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
I Quality and Operational Excellence Training Institutes in Europe Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
M MDD Europe: Use EN ISO 14971:2012 or ISO 14971:2007 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
S What are export requirements for Class I/II Medical Devices in Europe? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Which regulations apply to Medical Stand Alone Software in Europe? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Medical Device Identification Europe FDA CMDR Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
S QMS to demonstrate Compliance to Canada, Europe and Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
A CE Certificate is valid until 3.12.2013 - Can I still sell the products in Europe? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
T CE Marking - Exporting replicas (Airsoft) to Europe CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
G Can a Distributer in USA sell a medical device (CE marked) to Europe? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Shipping Liquids (Small Bottles of Ultrasound Gel) to Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S GMP Comparative Information for Canada, US and Europe Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
M Proposal for revision of the Medical Devices Directives in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 10
Sam Lazzara Updated Europe Harmonised Standards Lists (2012-08-30) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Europe import Regulations? Customers are requesting us to sign OEM/ODM Agreements EU Medical Device Regulations 7
P Testing a US device in Europe to prove Equivalence in a ?head-to-head? Study EU Medical Device Regulations 6
F Specific Country Requirements for Medical Device Registration in Europe CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D Moving Manufacturing Equipment from USA to Europe - Is CE certification required?? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
P Suggestions for Europe in a Week - By Car Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 4
A 21CFR 880.6310 Medical Device Data System - Europe? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
A IEC 60601-2-47 - For Europe, What particular standard is to be followed now? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
thisby_ IEC 60601-1 3rd edition Transition Period - US vs. Europe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
xfngrs What does the Ford Europe acronym ISRD stand for? APQP and PPAP 6
R What is the Device Classification for X-ray template in Europe ? EU Medical Device Regulations 9