GM Terms - GLD in relation to Master Colour and Gloss? Can anyone define!

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
Can anyone tell me what the Acronym GLD stands for in relation to Master Colour and Gloss for GM parts?

Just a quickie before I leave for the evening!

R

Rob Nix

I have not heard of that one, and "Acronymfinder" did not turn up any appropriate options. Perhaps it simply stands for "GOLD" (I've seen gold abbreviated GLD before).

How about asking your customer?

Anybody else?

CarolX

My mind goes for the gutter...LOL

"great looking dude".

Sorry I can be of any help.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
It's been a while since I've dealt with GM color and gloss stuff, but I think it has to do with a graded scale of gloss levels for interior components (with "GL" standing for "gloss level"). When in doubt, ask the customer!

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Grain Lay Detector???
Grey Level Definition??

I looked in the acronym folder on GMPT site and - surprise - it's not accessible :nope: . I also tried the acronym finder and I've gotta agree with Rob - unless someone else here has experience with the standard, you may need to ask your customer.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
NO problem guys!

Thanks for your help! I will ask the customer and let you all know.

Just thought I would get some expert opinion!

I believe it has something to do with the master plaques and the figures used or stated on these but who knows!

GM & Ford are two of the most difficult companies to deal with I am sure I am not alone!

:thanx:

D

D.Scott

The only GM GLD reference I have seen is in relation to the stock market. Maybe this is a European thing? I will be looking for Manix to post an answer.

Dave

K

kdelorme

I believe that it stands for gloss level and the D is the actual level of gloss. In my records, products with the GLD code are matte finishes. It may be a replacement of the old GLA or dull finishes.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
HI All,

I said I would so here you have it:

GLD is a GMNA visual specification. It basically replaces gloss specification's being simply numerical values 2.0GU etc.... and makes the verificaiton and approval reliant upon a visual comparison with the "GLD" section of the master colour plaque.

It still uses numerical comparsions but not in isolation anymore. I think they found that numerical gloss values varied so much from material to material. The example they gave is that vinyl may look very glossy but would still yield low gloss numerical values.

So they compare PPAP samples with a required numerical target with a reference standard of that numerical target + the GLD portion of the plaque.

Hope this is clear, thanks again guys for your input and hope I have just enlightened you sufficiently!:read:

Top Bottom