SBS - The best value in QMS software

Greenlight Guru as a Medical Device software solution

joemar

Involved In Discussions
I have this long-standing thing about people (not referring to anyone in particular, including not to anyone in this discussion) who come to a forum and ask for recommendations for or experiences with a service or product without providing any information regarding their selection criteria. I assume they don't have any. Enough said.

Ultimately, it is all about finding the provider or product that matches your needs, and there is never going to be a one size that fits all, or a "best," only the best for this particular set of needs. On the flip, it is all about defining the market with needs that your product or service is a good fit for.

Having said that, I don't judge a book by its cover, but like any book buyer, I give do consideration to the cover. Old cover, old book. Depending on the type of book, the content is probably is going to be a little or a lot different than a book published in the last couple of years. Do I care? Depends on what I'm looking for.
hopefully i provided more info below.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Ivey

Grand Avenue Software
I have no problem providing more feedback. I figure the next person who reads these forums will have some more info, so it's helpful.

Aside from the UI, when i was researching EQMS systems, I basically came to the conclusion that there are two tracks: (1) systems that are essentially repositories for information, and (2) systems that help guide your regulatory process.

Grand Ave. generally falls in the first category. Like, yes, it's helpful because it takes you away from paper and gives you a platform to share documents, but given that it's pretty basic, it doesnt do any of the lifting for you. Some of the other systems have more integration with your processes, or even if they arent tailored, they still have connective tissue that helps the process. An example is that a lot of systems let you start a CAPA in the system, and then from in the CAPA you can start a Risk Assessment or an Engineering Change, or a deviation form... So when you look back at the CAPA, you realize that the Risk Assessment is directly connected to the CAPA and if flowed to the Engineering CHange... This is a basic example, but it is something you guys are missing. You're mostly a repository for documents, and that feels like paper. It doesnt let the computer system help much.

Obviously, there are more integrated systems and less integrated. and some require you to basically rebuild your procedures to fit the system. others are basically off the shelf or have some basic check boxes and connective systems that flow you into other related processes. I am not aware of Grand Ave having much of that at all. it's basically only a repository for documents. That's not bad if that's what you are going for, but it's not that hard to find systems with a lot more functions and pretty low prices. not everyone has to go full tilt to get a good system now. Correct me if Im wrong.

Joe
Thanks for taking the time for that detailed response, Joe! I feel uncomfortable monopolizing this thread when it was originally a question about another company, but I'm intrigued and want to keep asking questions. :)

I have to admit I'm surprised by the perception of Grand Avenue as the "first category" (repository of documents) rather than the second, especially about the CAPA module. We actually get knocked around sometimes by new customers learning the system for the opposite reason, because it is a very detailed, rigorous process that can feel overwhelming for a small organization: documenting the initial concern/opportunity, fleshing out the root cause analysis, developing an action plan, getting it approved, managing the implementation, tracking the verification of long-term effectiveness, etc. All of those steps in the process are managed as separate tasks by many people collaborating within a workflow, working against a set of structured business objects, and the system partitions out the individual responsibilities to each user, focusing on their particular subset of the information and actions to perform on task-specific pages. A single "CAPA" in our system ends up being represented by dozens of objects (corrections, root causes, corrective/preventive actions, related process impacts, supporting documentation for all of the tasks), and gets intricately tied to related processes (audits, issues, complaints, NCMRs, etc.). I think the fault we usually have struggle with is the other one you mentioned: While we try to make the system as configurable as possible, customers frequently end up needing to evolve some of their procedures to fit our recommended process.

Regardless, I'll take the feedback as a data point, and follow up with our sales team to see if they still have a record of your evaluation and any more notes that came out of it. Ideally the evaluation site you used might still be active, and maybe I can glean a little more insight from the test scenarios you ran through the system, to better understand where we missed your expectations.

Thanks again for the feedback, and take care!

joemar

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for taking the time for that detailed response, Joe! I feel uncomfortable monopolizing this thread when it was originally a question about another company, but I'm intrigued and want to keep asking questions. :)

I have to admit I'm surprised by the perception of Grand Avenue as the "first category" (repository of documents) rather than the second, especially about the CAPA module. We actually get knocked around sometimes by new customers learning the system for the opposite reason, because it is a very detailed, rigorous process that can feel overwhelming for a small organization: documenting the initial concern/opportunity, fleshing out the root cause analysis, developing an action plan, getting it approved, managing the implementation, tracking the verification of long-term effectiveness, etc. All of those steps in the process are managed as separate tasks by many people collaborating within a workflow, working against a set of structured business objects, and the system partitions out the individual responsibilities to each user, focusing on their particular subset of the information and actions to perform on task-specific pages. A single "CAPA" in our system ends up being represented by dozens of objects (corrections, root causes, corrective/preventive actions, related process impacts, supporting documentation for all of the tasks), and gets intricately tied to related processes (audits, issues, complaints, NCMRs, etc.). I think the fault we usually have struggle with is the other one you mentioned: While we try to make the system as configurable as possible, customers frequently end up needing to evolve some of their procedures to fit our recommended process.

Regardless, I'll take the feedback as a data point, and follow up with our sales team to see if they still have a record of your evaluation and any more notes that came out of it. Ideally the evaluation site you used might still be active, and maybe I can glean a little more insight from the test scenarios you ran through the system, to better understand where we missed your expectations.

Thanks again for the feedback, and take care!
Just to be clear, one of the distinctions between the first and second category in my opinion is the interconnectedness of the various processes. so, for example, in some systems you can create a CAPA, and within that CAPA, it helps lead you to the right procedures to change, it automatically generates the risk assessment that is embedded into the CAPA and the Design File, and it works you through the flow chart to make sure you hit everything. Grand Avenue (i may be wrong, i have only a little experience with it), might have some of those functions, but it doesnt actually generate them. it still makes you remember to do them. no prompts, no capability for you to do the linking of various processes and such. which is why it's more in the repository category imho.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S EQMS solution (Greenlight Guru and Q-Pulse currently being explored) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 8
S GM/VP softgrading internal audit finding - need feedback from an audit guru! General Auditing Discussions 11
bobdoering ASQ Fun Quiz: Which Quality Guru Are You? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 21
T Looking for Input on our Quality manual from TS 16949 Guru's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
C Capt. Bob - A new Guru for us? Motivation Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 13
H Statistics Guru? What method is appropriate to calculate the answer Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
P ISO 8 classified medical manufacturing room Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Brian Benzarti Medical Devices CLP Regulation Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J Medical Device Regulations in Lebanon? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
dgrainger Informational Medicines and Medical Devices Act 2021 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Medical Device MRI Compatibility EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M NICE Medical Technology Evaluation Programme - Recommendations Service Industry Specific Topics 0
A ISO 13485 for Class 1 Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Components to a finished medical device, MDR requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Warnings/Cautions in Medical Device IFU Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
L Medical device HIPAA compliance in encryption Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
A Sampling plan for in-process QC (medical devices) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
M V&V phase: Justification of acceptance criteria (statistical method ) - (Medical Device) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
E Medical Device - CE marking - Local market notifications EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Medical Device Registration in Qatar Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
B Specialized Medical Apparel Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B Free Sales Certificate for Non Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Medical device substance based-leachables Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
K Usability for custom made medical devices IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
P Anyone have an Idea on UAE Medical device registeration- Class B with FDA only Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F Mobile app regulations - Class II medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M What are the basics of Medical Device Single Audit Program (MDSAP)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
dgrainger Informational MHRA - Regulating medical devices in the UK - Post Brexit - 2021-02 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
U Medical Device CE Marking - Using a disposable bearing CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
L Medical Device Registration in Macau Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A Medical Device Registration in the Dominican Republic Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
Aymaneh Medical Device Cybersecurity Risk Management IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
S Medical watch Class II (AP Type CF) with USB connection IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
T B2C Medical Device Shipping across the US Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
M Medical Device Registration In Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
N Adding unclassified product to the medical device registration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
V Sister companies selling same medical device under different names ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K CE Marking for Class I Medical Device? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
L Medical device storage conditions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
F USB powered handheld medical device - Isolation requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
L How to determine / validate Medical Device Storage Conditions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Europe GMP medical devices - Combination products - Ancillary medicinal substance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
L Shelf life of medical devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
P Best european location to set up for a virtual medical device manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 4