How can I start initial TPM training?

M

msomturk

Hi,

I have been appointed as a TPM Coordinator 1 week ago. but I need more information for inital TPM implementation. If you share your knowledge about belove questions I would be greatfull.

1- what kind of TPM trainings will be need for upper managers at the beginning.? How can I organize it? Can you make a list and advice?
2- What is important for the initial work plan?
If you have any plan for initial TPM implementation (including organization, neccesary trainings, policies, etc.)pleaze send me.

Thank you

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Could you give us a little background on your organization.

What is the culture?

What is the level of knowledge with TPM?

Are folks aware of complimentary techniques such as Kaizen, TQM, Lean Manufacturing, single-piece flow?

Regards,

Kevin

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Check out the pdf file TPM.pdf which is in the pdf files directory. It might serve to give you some ideas.

I agree with Kevin that it is difficult to give answers to both of your main questions because every company is so different. Even different facilities of a single corporation are often quite different - even why they really try hard to be consistent (just consider the McDonalds restaurant chain).

Marc

Leader
Well, I'm really in the middle of some work right now and to be honest I really hate typing back and forth in an IRC or 'chat' environment. I have to translate every thought into key strokes and when there is a lot of info to be 'discussed', verbal communications are the way to go.

In addition, when we discuss issues in the forums everyone gains knowledge as the questions are answered.

On 8/7/01 3:34 PM, M. Albert Somturk wrote:

> Ok Marc,
>
> Its realy far callin you from here. I am in Istanbul.
> As you know I ma started my TPM implementation job. I
> have 1 years experience in Pirelli tyre company in the
> past. I have some know about TPM. But I do not have
> any knowledge about for initial concept

If you do not understand the 'initial' concept, as I noted - you should browse through the TPM pdf file as a start, and read all the TPM threads posted since this board started. I believe a couple of books are referenced in several threads here. Maybe I'm wrong - Maybe Dave can suggest a book or two.

> and I need to find how can I organize initial TPM.

Again, take a look thru the pdf file. This will be very specific to your company, however. As is illustrated in the pdf file, you basically look over the company and choose a pilot area and then expand. Use project management software for planning and tracking.

> The company is a
> Textile company and just had ISO 9000 cetificate. but
> ISO 9001 is not realy working

If you say ISO is not working, TPM is probably a wish that will not come to pass simply because ISO is so very basic. TPM is more intense than ISO. ISO is just good business basics. If you are having trouble with ISO, TPM will be, I predict, difficult to say the least.

> and I need to implement TPN on the lack system.

I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Marc

Leader
Well, I'm really in the middle of some work right now and to be honest I really hate typing back and forth in an IRC or 'chat' environment. I have to translate every thought into key strokes and when there is a lot of info to be 'discussed', verbal communications are the way to go.

In addition, when we discuss issues in the forums everyone gains knowledge as the questions are answered.

On 8/7/01 3:34 PM, M. Albert Somturk wrote:

> Ok Marc,
>
> Its realy far callin you from here. I am in Istanbul.
> As you know I ma started my TPM implementation job. I
> have 1 years experience in Pirelli tyre company in the
> past. I have some know about TPM. But I do not have
> any knowledge about for initial concept

If you do not understand the 'initial' concept, as I noted - you should browse through the TPM pdf file as a start, and read all the TPM threads posted since this board started. I believe a couple of books are referenced in several threads here. Maybe I'm wrong - Maybe Dave can suggest a book or two.

> and I need to find how can I organize initial TPM.

Again, take a look thru the pdf file. This will be very specific to your company, however. As is illustrated in the pdf file, you basically look over the company and choose a pilot area and then expand. Use project management software for planning and tracking.

> The company is a
> Textile company and just had ISO 9000 cetificate. but
> ISO 9001 is not realy working

If you say ISO is not working, TPM is probably a wish that will not come to pass simply because ISO is so very basic. TPM is more intense than ISO. ISO is just good business basics. If you are having trouble with ISO, TPM will be, I predict, difficult to say the least.

> and I need to implement TPN on the lack system.

I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Metin,

I was pleased to see that it was ‘you’ who posted this topic. I am glad I made the connection.

I agree with Marc that if your organization is struggling with ISO 9000, an effort to implement TPM in your facility will be extremely difficult. Here are my concerns:

- It appears that management is endorsing programs like ISO and TPM blindly. They are doing so for unknown reasons, but I suspect that they are doing so to keep up with other organizations (what we call here in the States, “Keeping up with the Jones’s”). This maybe to level the playing field on the ‘credentials’ level, but does nothing (or little) to improve the organization or the System. To be honest Metin, this is quite common, so don’t be overly alarmed if this be your case.

- Management probably understands simple concepts such as, “ISO and TPM will improve your business.” but fail to understand that it will take work to make it a reality. Many organizations think that you can ‘plug in’ a system and it will magically work (Marc refers to this as the elusive “Magic Wand”). They appoint an ISO Management Rep or a TPM coordinator and make it their job to bring quality and success to the organization. For some unknown reason, you will have better success from your position than they do from theirs. This just isn’t so. Quality and Business Excellence begins in the boardroom. Senior Managers cannot delegate away this type of responsibility or authority. They have to see it as everyone’s job but that they must LEAD the way.

- You could deploy a TPM program with modest success. However, it will not improve the System as a whole. TQM, Kaizen, and the other’s listed in my above post are also just ‘tools’. Tools must work with Theory to be successful (or to bring the most success). What is the Management Theory in your organization? This is critical in my opinion. Both elements are absolutes in my thinking. Neither is much good without the other.

Tell us more about your situation. I am concerned that you are in the position I described in my second ‘concern’. If you must deploy a program in a "lack system", we might have some thoughts to help you on this.

Regards,

Kevin

Top Bottom