How does a company determine what ISO standard (9000 or 9001) to register to?

N

njoynlf

How does a company determine what ISO standard (9000 or 9001) to register to? We are a underground physics clean lab that provides facilities for experiments to external scientists and staff scientists.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: ISO Certification - What Standard?

How does a company determine what ISO standard (9000 or 9001) to register to? We are a underground physics clean lab that provides facilities for experiments to external scientists and staff scientists.
By reading the standard! ISO 9000 is, as it shows on the front, a vocabulary document.

ISO 9001 is the standard to which you are audited and may become certified...

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Andy is spot on regarding 9000 & 9001 but just to add that there are also variants of 9001 aimed at specific industries e.g. AS 9100 for aerospace; TS 16949 for automotive. It is worth checking that you are looking at the most appropriate standard.

harry

Super Moderator
How does a company determine what ISO standard (9000 or 9001) to register to? ...................
1. Needs - usually part of an organizations plan (strategic) to get to somewhere or some type of business

2. Customer driven - pressure from customers or business environment. The need to keep pace with competitors

Options for you includes ISO 9001 (a general quality management system standard) or ISO 17025 (specifically for labs).

O

ong0708

Normally, most of the company will go for ISO 9001 first prior to the other standard as ISO 9001 talking about quality which is needed by every company.

FYI, ISO 9000 is a vocabulary document and is not certifiable. It serve for reference purpose to allow person reading ISO 9001 to have a clearer picture on the terms being used.

To know what certification you wish to get, you will first need to identify your needs.

For example, to give assurance on quality, you may go for ISO 9001 which is quality based;
For environmental friendly or green support company, you may wish to go for ISO 14001;
To promote workplace safety, you may wish to go for OHSAS 18001. (NOTE: OHSAS 18001 is not an ISO standard);
ISO 17025 is a standard for calibration and testing lab. Normally lab that providing testing and calibration service for customer will go for this standard.

As harry mentioned, customer driven is another factor. Some customer may require you to certify with certain standards before giving business to you.

G

GregTQM9

First time poster, long time visitor. My company is currently interested in contracting an iso auditor due to some serious resource constraints. Does anyone has a list of recommended companies they've used? I've received a quote from Quality Auditing LLC but am looking for multiple companies to baseline the cost of quality auditing.

Thanks
Greg T.

harry

Super Moderator
First time poster, long time visitor. My company is currently interested in contracting an iso auditor due to some serious resource constraints. Does anyone has a list of recommended companies they've used? I've received a quote from Quality Auditing LLC but am looking for multiple companies to baseline the cost of quality auditing.

Thanks
Greg T.
Welcome Greg,

Knowing where you are based will definitely help those interested in your offer.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Welcome Greg,

Knowing where you are based will definitely help those interested in your offer.
Along with Harry's suggestion for letting us know where you are, could I also ask what you want the auditor to do and to which standard(s)?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
G Is ISO 9001:2015 certification worth it for a company that does only contract manufacturing? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
K Does company who manufacture but does not design or carry out clinical trials is responsible for CE marking for single use medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Does the company violates any regulation/standard by selling device without warranty ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Proud Liberal How long does your company take to close an 8D on average? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
D Does Record Control apply to the company business processes as well? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
M Does a Company need a US Agent although the Company has affiliated company in USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
I Does being a subsidiary fully absolve company B from complying with 21 CFR 820? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I Does my company need to be ISO 13485 registered? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P Why does a SQA (Software Quality Assurance) standard be implemented in our company Software Quality Assurance 4
T If a company becomes TS 16949 certified does it still need ISO 9001 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
K Validation of Processes does not seem to apply - Scientific Research Company Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
K So confused with AQL - How does AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) fit with my company AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
S Does the Company Quality Policy have to be posted in the Facility? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
P Does our company need to be certified in order to submit a 510k Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
K Does each company department have relevant functions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S How does ISO 9001:2008 apply to a logistics Company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E Our CB is on suspension - What does this mean to my company? Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
J Does my company's Business Plan Contents comply with requirements of TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I Contract Manufacturing Company - What does contract manufacturing company mean? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
O Developing a QMS for biomedical start up company which only does R&D? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Does a Company have to appoint a US Agent to sell product in Canada or vise versa? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M The Quality "Policy" - How does it differ from other company policies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
ScottK Does your company use Six Sigma and/or Lean? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 18
C Does ISO 13485 certification require a company to follow 21 CFR Part 820? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Q How does your company deploy new policies, methods and or procedures? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
quality1 Hired to Improve Quality but Company does not care about Quality Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 58
H Does The Company We Rent Space To Fall Under Our Quality System? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
M How many Quality Manuals does your company have? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
S Does your company allow the use of Personal cell phones during working hours? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 51
K Process monitoring, measuring and analyzing, does this means all company processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Does your Company Supply Calipers for Employees? Manufacturing and Related Processes 59
ScottK Does your company shut down between Xmas and New Year Career and Occupation Discussions 29
C Looking for a company that does production hot forming Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Ts16949 - Company Does Not Want To Invest IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
M Does your company use Interactive Electronic Forms and/or Documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
C Does 17025 apply to my company? Testing for the pulp and paper industry ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Wes Bucey Does your company do something this stupid? World News 86
B Does a Distribution Company need to have a quality manager? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
T Number of Quality Personnel - How many quality personnel does your company employ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 18
W Does your company pay to have plastic scrap recycled? Manufacturing and Related Processes 25
C Does you company invite a consulting company when register for ISO/TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Does a company need a TQS to compete ? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
M Does the Microsoft (MBS) Company have any certified quality system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
B Does a distributor have to have an ISO 9001 cert to sell to a TS 16949 company? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
N How does your Company Communicate Requirements to Employees Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 24
Marc Does your company use six sigma? Is it effective? Six Sigma 27
W Measuring Customer Complaints in PPM - How does your company define PPM? Customer Complaints 21
G Management Commitment - The owner of our company does not allow me to implement Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 36
A Does your company use or reference level IV documents in their Quality plan? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 19