How does a company determine what ISO standard (9000 or 9001) to register to?

N

njoynlf

How does a company determine what ISO standard (9000 or 9001) to register to? We are a underground physics clean lab that provides facilities for experiments to external scientists and staff scientists.

AndyN

Moved On
Re: ISO Certification - What Standard?

How does a company determine what ISO standard (9000 or 9001) to register to? We are a underground physics clean lab that provides facilities for experiments to external scientists and staff scientists.

By reading the standard! ISO 9000 is, as it shows on the front, a vocabulary document.

ISO 9001 is the standard to which you are audited and may become certified...

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Andy is spot on regarding 9000 & 9001 but just to add that there are also variants of 9001 aimed at specific industries e.g. AS 9100 for aerospace; TS 16949 for automotive. It is worth checking that you are looking at the most appropriate standard.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
How does a company determine what ISO standard (9000 or 9001) to register to? ...................

1. Needs - usually part of an organizations plan (strategic) to get to somewhere or some type of business

2. Customer driven - pressure from customers or business environment. The need to keep pace with competitors

Options for you includes ISO 9001 (a general quality management system standard) or ISO 17025 (specifically for labs).

O

ong0708

Normally, most of the company will go for ISO 9001 first prior to the other standard as ISO 9001 talking about quality which is needed by every company.

FYI, ISO 9000 is a vocabulary document and is not certifiable. It serve for reference purpose to allow person reading ISO 9001 to have a clearer picture on the terms being used.

To know what certification you wish to get, you will first need to identify your needs.

For example, to give assurance on quality, you may go for ISO 9001 which is quality based;
For environmental friendly or green support company, you may wish to go for ISO 14001;
To promote workplace safety, you may wish to go for OHSAS 18001. (NOTE: OHSAS 18001 is not an ISO standard);
ISO 17025 is a standard for calibration and testing lab. Normally lab that providing testing and calibration service for customer will go for this standard.

As harry mentioned, customer driven is another factor. Some customer may require you to certify with certain standards before giving business to you.

G

GregTQM9

First time poster, long time visitor. My company is currently interested in contracting an iso auditor due to some serious resource constraints. Does anyone has a list of recommended companies they've used? I've received a quote from Quality Auditing LLC but am looking for multiple companies to baseline the cost of quality auditing.

Thanks
Greg T.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
First time poster, long time visitor. My company is currently interested in contracting an iso auditor due to some serious resource constraints. Does anyone has a list of recommended companies they've used? I've received a quote from Quality Auditing LLC but am looking for multiple companies to baseline the cost of quality auditing.

Thanks
Greg T.

Welcome Greg,

Knowing where you are based will definitely help those interested in your offer.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Welcome Greg,

Knowing where you are based will definitely help those interested in your offer.

Along with Harry's suggestion for letting us know where you are, could I also ask what you want the auditor to do and to which standard(s)?

Top Bottom