How to determine the understanding level of QMS documents?

C

crosu

All laboratory employees involved in testing are expected to read, understand and abide by the spirit of this quality manual in completing their job responsibilities.

How is determined that laboratory employees really understand the content of the quality management system documentation?

Thanks,

Christian Rosu

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
All laboratory employees involved in testing are expected to read, understand and abide by the spirit of this quality manual in completing their job responsibilities.

How is determined that laboratory employees really understand the content of the quality management system documentation?

Thanks,

Christian Rosu
Pretty much the same way ANY employee is determined to be "competent" - some senior person devises (or has some expert devise) a type of test or questionnaire to validate the person's comprehension of the instructions. Depending on the instruction, the comprehension test can be pen and pencil or a practical exam wherein the person actually performs the process under the watchful eye of a person qualified to pass or fail the performance.

Truth be known, many folks do NOT write easily comprehended instructions - for proof, I refer you to the USA tax code!:lmao: The comprehension test also serves as a check on the validity of the instruction being an adequate instrument for conveying the proper way to perform a process. If too many folks DO NOT pass the comprehension test, the problem may be with the instructions, NOT the persons undergoing the test. (This might be a good time to review Deming's Red Bead experiment!)

Last edited:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks,

Christian Rosu

One should start by evaluating the readability of the QMS documentation.
Too many times, the documents are written at a level and complexity that makes it very difficult to comprehend.

I did a search on Google on: "Test for readability." Interesting stuff pops up.

Really, begin there...then worry about comprehension on part of laboratory personnel.

Stijloor.

AndyN

Moved On

Thanks,

Christian Rosu

Er.......internal audits, perhaps?

BradM

Leader
Admin

Thanks,

Christian Rosu

Hello there, Christian!:bigwave: Welcome to the Cove!:)

To a fundamental level, any employees within any QMS (Quality Management System) should demonstrate an understanding of the manual.

The older I get, the more cynical and questionable I become.:tg: I don't think it's any form of rebellion, per se, but rather a true desire to understand. Why do you do that? Why is it that way? For if I have that answer, your request seems to be much more plausible to me. With me, so should the quality policy. It should be able to answer some questions as to why we are all messing with the QMS in the first place.

As far as measuring understanding:

1. Ask them
2. Observe them
3. Test them

If you want them to know something, first make it worth something to know. Make it relevant to them and their job, and give them some sense that they can make a difference within that policy.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
To kind of combine a couple of posts:
ask them
observe them
test them

Yep, kind of sounds like auditing to me.:tg:

Top Bottom