How to identify requirements for 'Incoming inspection'

tahirawan11

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

Are there any standards or best practice (Ford, Toyota etc) which defines how to identify requirements for 'Incoming inspection'. I want to know what dimensions should be checked by 'Receiving department' when parts are received from the supplier. I am aware of the sampling plans such as AQL level. I want to if you check only 'critical characteristics' or all the dimensions of the part? At present we specify only one level of Critical characteristics in our drawings and then there are other dimensions which are deemed important by R&D due to functional or assembly reasons but there is no CC symbol attached to them. The suppliers are already required to demonstrate a Cpk of 1.33 or more for CCs.

/Tahir

L

lk2012

Re: Incoming inspection requirements

Hi Tahir,
It may be worth running this past your Production MGMT/ Production Quality. They are the department who will be using the products and will have requirements for the goods.
Start with the special characteristics and do a trial run involving the relevant departments. Having the right revision drawing and having sufficiently trained incoming inspectors is a key feature too.
hope this helps
Lil

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Incoming inspection requirements

In addition, this should be part of contract review process so that you get customer requirements along with ME (Manufacturing engineering) and Quality Group.

Johnson

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

Are there any standards or best practice (Ford, Toyota etc) which defines how to identify requirements for 'Incoming inspection'. I want to know what dimensions should be checked by 'Receiving department' when parts are received from the supplier. I am aware of the sampling plans such as AQL level. I want to if you check only 'critical characteristics' or all the dimensions of the part? At present we specify only one level of Critical characteristics in our drawings and then there are other dimensions which are deemed important by R&D due to functional or assembly reasons but there is no CC symbol attached to them. The suppliers are already required to demonstrate a Cpk of 1.33 or more for CCs.

/Tahir

How to do receiving inspection is one of the most diversified areas in quality control. For example,
In many European companies, a skip lot method is widely used, they may check 10 lots, skip 5 lots, then check 10 lots, skip 10 lots....if problem is found, and they return previous level. The samples size is more or less fixed, for example 5 samples are checked. If one part is NOK, the lot is judged as NOK. 100% sorting may follow.

But AQL (USA standard) MIL-STD-105E or China GB2828 sampling method is also widely used.

The sample size and inspection frequency must be determined according to the quality level of the receiving materials.

As for the inspection items, the selection method is much more diversified. Importance of the characteristics is one consideration, but I would prefer to pay attention to the item s with high quality risks like fit dimension, wrong or missing part/process, visual defect etc. This is because I saw little problems on critical dimensions.

One more important thing is the inspection plan must be dynamic. It should be changed based on the quality level of a part and the supplier performance. Otherwise, receiving inspection brings less value to the company.

tahirawan11

Involved In Discussions
As for the inspection items, the selection method is much more diversified. Importance of the characteristics is one consideration, but I would prefer to pay attention to the item s with high quality risks like fit dimension, wrong or missing part/process, visual defect etc. This is because I saw little problems on critical dimensions.

Many thanks for your informative reply, i have below follow up questions

1. In your organization who is responsible for identifying 'inspection characteristics'? Is it R&D or is it the 'Inspection department' at the production site.

2. Where the information for 'inspection characteristics' is documented. Is it documented in part drawings, with a special symbol like for CC symbol OR this information is put in a control plan document developed by inspection department.

Johnson

Involved In Discussions
Many thanks for your informative reply, i have below follow up questions

1. In your organization who is responsible for identifying 'inspection characteristics'? Is it R&D or is it the 'Inspection department' at the production site.

In our company, Quality Department is responsible for identifying the inspection characteristics because the Incoming Inspection team of Quality Department do receiving inspection. Our Engineering Department (R&D)determine the critical characteristics but does not involve in the decision of receiving inspection.

2. Where the information for 'inspection characteristics' is documented. Is it documented in part drawings, with a special symbol like for CC symbol OR this information is put in a control plan document developed by inspection department.

We have an ?inspection plan" (can also be called receiving inspection working instruction ?to define what to inspect, how many samples, what measuring device to use. The simplified information is also defined in control plan. Then this inspection plan is transferred into SAP which is used to execute and record the inspection result. Drawing is not affected. But if there is CC symbol in the drawing, this simple will be appear in the inspection plan.

Top Bottom