I am Lost - Trying to implement an ISO 9001:2000 QMS

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Gangona said:
I know i should make procedures, work instructions, work flows, documentation control, records quality plans....etc. but i really don't know HOW.

I have 1000000 directions in my head, and i feel that am lost in the middle of the see.. any advice?
:thanx:

Ah, yes, the days of 1000000 directions. I remember them with horror! I absolutely agree with everything said here by other posters. I want to focus on the HOW remark you made. Maybe you need to start by getting ahold of an ISO quality manual from a customer or a supplier. Then you can sit down with the top management group -- maybe just a few people who really want to see a difference happen -- and talk to them about what it means to have a quality management system. You can talk through the manual, and show them the kinds of things it says. Most manuals follow the standard very closely, so you can also refer to the ISO 9004 standard to help you share ideas of HOW companies meet the requirements.

Once you show this small group what it takes, ask for their support to help your company (namely you) write the manual for your company. Then your company generates the manual. I think this is a critical first step to getting management involved. Don't try to do it yourself. It won't work.

--QG

G

Gangona

Dear all,
Thanx sooooo much for your support, you really all made my day, at last i found some people understand what i'm thinking of, and till now i don't know how to quote so i'll answer one by one..

Dave, about my top management commitment, i'm trying for more than year now to get this commitment, sometimes i feel i got it and sometimes i feel it's a fream :confused: but i will not stop.

Wallace, i'm now in this stage, mapping out my existing business functions and when i finish this, sure i'll post it here to take your openion.

Gerry Quinn, i thought of having an external consultant, or even as i was adviced here before to have training cources/lectures, and yes they believe those from the outside before they listen to those within who gonna hit thier heads in a wall :frust:

JRKH, i've been hired by the company for the Quality control/Assurance Engineer position but i was still fresh graduate then, my company is the Facility Management Contractor of Alexandria Library, so we are providing the the maintenence (mechanical, electrical, civil) and housekeeping services, with 180 persons working. we're work order oriented company.

SRT-4, you know.. the employees here are already teams, mechanical, electrical, civil, housekeeping, purchasing, and they are all small groups.. yes i may get their help and u gave me good idea about the estimated time plan for a larger or smaller scale, but i got it anyway.

Jim Howe, what you are saying about measurements and calibration is so easy for a production company, but we are providing service, but u know i read here about the quality metrics, and i guess it would be my 1st step to control and have liks with the poeple inside.

Thank you all so much again for help, i guess i have to re-energize myself now and rearrange my thoughts according to your great help you gave me :thanks:

J

John E Hopkinson - 2010

The standard can be very overwhelming - it can seem very complex. As has been suggested you need a gameplan of where to start.

Try writing the quality manual first, address each clause and sub-clause and write a statement of the company's intentions, their policy and think about how you will comply with it.

You may know this but if you are new to the system it is worth pointing out. You have to address every clause - You can exclude those parts of section 7 which do not apply but must state it both in that section and in Clause 4.2.2 (a) you cannot just ignore it. You can only exclude those parts you do not do in the provision of either the service or goods you offer, not those you do not want to do.

As you get to each clause and are thinking about how to comply you may find yourself actually writing the work instructions or designing the forms. Just note you have to proove you have complied with the requirements so you'll need records later.

I am sure I speak for any-one who subscribes to this site please ask any questions and help will be made available. If you need specific advise just contact me direct

K

karime

Hi.
I agree with the idea that mannagment comitment is one of the most (if not the most) important thing on an ISO9001 implementation. I think most of us have been there.

What I can suggest is
1. To gather information of why your company decided or need to get the ISO certification
2. Look for assesment to do a GAP analysis. If you think you can do it, is just the analysis on what the norm ISO9001 requieres and how your organization accomplish those requirements. (Usually mannagment gives more credit to an external and they better because they are paying...)
3. Prepare a presentation with the information of 1 and 2, pointing what the organization (NOT YOU) need to do to eliminate the gap and reminding the reason of why ISO (Use numbers).
3. Present these to the direction. They will need to decide if the company is going for it and how.

Good luck and relax.

Karina ;)

F

Fiba Adeeb

it is hard implementing ISO 9001:2000 but it isn't impossible

i have been there , i know how u feel , so i would like to help u
first of all there is alot of consultants company in egypt who can help u through perpartaion phase .
it is very simple first u should ask other departments what shall they do u don't have to do it urself . just teach them how to make it , u can educate urself through internet and download examples and give itto them they can modify examples to fit in their departments . flowcharts , job descrpition, procudure it is all there how to do them and examples i, i don't have the site name now but i will send it to u soon .
good luck

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Gangona said:
Dear all,
Thanx sooooo much for your support, you really all made my day, at last i found some people understand what i'm thinking of, and till now i don't know how to quote so i'll answer one by one..

Dave, about my top management commitment, i'm trying for more than year now to get this commitment, sometimes i feel i got it and sometimes i feel it's a fream :confused: but i will not stop.

Wallace, i'm now in this stage, mapping out my existing business functions and when i finish this, sure i'll post it here to take your openion.

Gerry Quinn, i thought of having an external consultant, or even as i was adviced here before to have training cources/lectures, and yes they believe those from the outside before they listen to those within who gonna hit thier heads in a wall :frust:

JRKH, i've been hired by the company for the Quality control/Assurance Engineer position but i was still fresh graduate then, my company is the Facility Management Contractor of Alexandria Library, so we are providing the the maintenence (mechanical, electrical, civil) and housekeeping services, with 180 persons working. we're work order oriented company.

SRT-4, you know.. the employees here are already teams, mechanical, electrical, civil, housekeeping, purchasing, and they are all small groups.. yes i may get their help and u gave me good idea about the estimated time plan for a larger or smaller scale, but i got it anyway.

Jim Howe, what you are saying about measurements and calibration is so easy for a production company, but we are providing service, but u know i read here about the quality metrics, and i guess it would be my 1st step to control and have liks with the poeple inside.

Thank you all so much again for help, i guess i have to re-energize myself now and rearrange my thoughts according to your great help you gave me :thanks:

Well it seems that you are on the right track. Keep driving the needs.

Coury Ferguson

K

km214

Gerry Quinn said:
In your post you indicated that you have to make "...your own way...". If you try to do this alone you will fail.

IMHO you need to:

Become the resident expert on quality systems. Then you need to formulate a plan for establishment and implementation of your system.

The biggest part of this plan will be educating Top Management. I also agree that without their COMITTEMENT (as required by the standard) you will not be successful.

Find a good consultant to assist you with this project. Management seems to believe those from the outside before they listen to those within.

:applause: :agree1:
Gerry,
You hit the nail on the head. I have been in several positions where I had no guidance or support but the need for Quality Systtem implementation was imparative to achieving quality and in many cases ISO certification. It is a very daunting task and can be extremely frustrating without complete management support. A book that may help you is one I purchased through the Quality Council of Indiana (www.qualitycouncil.com Called "Quality Systems Handbook (includes CDRom).
This handbook goes over creating a Quality System , and provides some examples of all documents required by ISO. I have found it invaluable since purchasing to ensure my quality objectives are in line with a TQM System. Try visiting www.asq.org and search their store for the multitude of literature on Quality and Quality Systems. This forum is another invaluable resource where you usually can locate threads covering a specific issue or topic you have difficulties with.
The forum members are always very helpful by sharing their experiences with everyone.
I LOVE ELSMAR COVE!!! :agree1:

V

vanputten

Consider presenting to Top Management the text of ISO 9000 0.2 Quality Management Principles and get their written approval to support them.

With the principles (theory) behind the quality system defined, you can then try to drive the system yourself. I emphasize "try."

It is impossible to implement a system alone. Impossible!

Regards,

Dirk

B

Beiquan - 2010

Stage 1、training:
Stage 2、establish ISO9000 committee
Stage 3、diagnose management system
Stage 5、write system document
Stage 6、try to run system
Stage 7、begin to interior audit and management review
Stage 8、run in due form
Stage 9、begin to simulate audit by yourself before 3rd audit , in order to decrease risk
Stage 10、chose certification body
Stage 11、begin to 3rd audit
Stage 12、maintaining system and continual improvement

Top Bottom