IATF16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory
include the relevant inspection, test, or calibration
service in the scope of the accreditation (certificate); the certificate of calibration or test report
shall include the mark of a national accreditation body;

Ashland78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Is it? I was not aware. Can you - or someone - direct me to the requirement?
grab thing
I am not at work but been in automotive quality over 20 years. 7.1.5.3.2 or whatever was mentioned above does have requirements in Notes to use ISO 17025, which is accredited. I know it's a money grab thing, but when you have companies registered to IATF you are getting quality, reliability. Many calibration labs won't offer anything less than accredited now as many have gotten in trouble for it, as the management is not aware of requirements or puts the right people in the position to run calibration or test labs. Also about saving money...

I could share so many stories up the Takata airbag situation with IATF that is great example.

Funboi

On Holiday
grab thing
I am not at work but been in automotive quality over 20 years. 7.1.5.3.2 or whatever was mentioned above does have requirements in Notes to use ISO 17025, which is accredited. I know it's a money grab thing, but when you have companies registered to IATF you are getting quality, reliability. Many calibration labs won't offer anything less than accredited now as many have gotten in trouble for it, as the management is not aware of requirements or puts the right people in the position to run calibration or test labs. Also about saving money...

I could share so many stories up the Takata airbag situation with IATF that is great example.
Huh? I was only asking about the requirement for an accredited result…

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Very good point. I think the key phrase is "or verified". Their service would probably fall in to this. Thank You

17025 Accreditation is only available for Calibration or Testing services. There is no 17025 Accreditation for "Preventive Maintenance", which I believe is the reason why your PM provider cannot supply 17025 Accredited services.

malasuerte

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Everyone

My company just received a finding in our IATF16949 surveillance audit for calibration reports provided by our external laboratories not having the accreditation stamp applied. We are in the process of informing our external labs whom are accredited that this is required. One lab, however, performs what they consider to be a preventative maintenance on a piece of our equipment. They are accredited to ISO/IEC17025 for calibration services but are insisting that the requirement for meeting the IATF standard is not applicable. They also use standards to check the equipment function during this PM activity and provide certificates of traceability for the standards used.

My question is....Are they correct in stating that they are not required to provide accreditation stamps on the reports?

Thanks
Doug Reed

Sorry - can I clarify:
  • The "Calibration Lab" you use for the calibration of equipment, also happens to perform maintenance of some of your equipment?
  • This "Lab" sent a "Calibration report" of the "maintenance" activity?
  • The CB wrote an NC saying the accreditation mark is not present on the "calibration report"?

If this is what is going on - I would say this doesn't seem right - and I agree with the "lab".
  • In this case, the preventive maintenance, the 'lab' is not a "lab" - it is a supplier performing a service.
  • The Lab, should not be sending a PM report written on a calibration report.
  • The org would be accountable for that supplier and ensuring they meet 8.4.2 & 8.4.2.1
The lab should not need to put any marks on a preventive maintenance report; but they should be sending a PM report, not a calibration report.

Funboi

On Holiday
A key point being overlooked here - and in particular by the CB auditor who should know better, in spite of all the impressive training IATF auditors are supposed to go through - is what service is stated in the PO with the lab? Is it a maintence request or calibration or both?

Top Bottom