IEC 60601-2-2 - Defib-proof test amendment to base standard

Anthony

Registered
Hello,

60601-2-2 changes the defib proof test to limit test condition to be:

1. Common mode
2. 2kV test pulse

The rationale for the 2kV test pulse is pretty clear in the standard. But I did not find any rationale for the common mode test.

Does anyone know if the older editions of the 60601-2-2 might have the explanation, or can someone tell me what the rationale might be?

Anthony

Registered
Hello,

I read the rationale in 60601-2-2 again, and it does state:

"The common mode test represents the situation that can occur with the use of a defibrillator in combination with HF SURGICAL ACCESSORIES and HF APPLIED PARTS."

I think might understand it but want to check:

When a defibrillation event occurs, is the thought that it is unlikely that the active electrode will be in contact with the patient? Therefore, the only patient connection during defibrillation is from the neutral electrode, and the defib paddles.

Is this the correct situation that would result in a test setup to be common mode only?

Peter Selvey

Leader
Super Moderator
For defib proof test there is differential mode (between applied parts) and common mode (all applied parts at the same time). The differential mode test is the toughest as this potentially stresses the functional electronics of the applied part, for example applying 5000V pulse between RA and LA in an ECG. You can imagine the ECG electronics are designed only for ±5V or ±3V operation, so you need a special network to limit and absorb the effects of a differential pulse that large.

In IEC 60601-2-2 the standard is saying that the active electrode won't be in contact with the patient during defibrillation, hence the differential mode test is N/A, leaving only the common mode test.

Interesting thought: what happens to the active electrode during defibrillation? If it changes from being applied part to "operator accessible" then it would normally fail the test, since it is not isolated from the neutral electrode. In other words, during defibrillation it could be a source of shock to operators. Might be best not to open that can of worms ...

Stephan

Registered
Hello,

I want to reactivate this topic, as we have a current issue with our test lab. They claim that the neutral electrode (applied part) itself has to be defib-proof. Therefore, we should perform 8.5.5.1 from IEC 60601-1 with 2kV instead of 5kV and only common mode test (as indicated in 60601-2-2).
As far as I understand, is the defib-proof requirement only mandatory for the HF-generator including the applied parts (neutral electrode)? Active electrode is excluded as I learned from the discussion above. The neutral electrode has no electrical parts and for me it makes not really sense to claim it as defib-proof.
But on the other hand, I can imagine a situation where the neutral electrode is still sticking on the patient and is, or is not connected to an ESU and a defibrillation is required.

What I am missing in 60601-1 and in 60601-2-2 as well, is a statement when a defib-proof applied part is required? Is this something which has only to come out of risk analysis of the manufactures? I cannot find justification in the standards.
And has the applied part (neutral electrode) to be defib-proof even if the ESU is claimed as defib-proof? Most units have the CF-defib-proof symbol at their sockets.

Peter Selvey

Leader
Super Moderator
There is no requirement in IEC 60601-2-2 for the part to be defibrillator proof. Although the test is modified by IEC 60601-2-2, the applicability of the test remains based on the general standard which is optional based on classifications as determined by the manufacturer.

There is a possibility that the test lab is thinking it is mandatory based on the TRF (test report form) provided by the IECEE CB scheme. These forms can often use cryptic or abbreviated text for the requirement which imply something is mandatory when it is not, especially for particular standards (which are often read independent from the 601-1 TRF). Or, the test lab may be policing outside of the standard, knowing that most (all?) ESUs are classified as defib proof, so it makes sense that an accessory should also be defib proof.

In one sense, I agree with the lab. A good risk analysis should find that the probability of the neutral electrode and cable remaining on the patient and connected to the ESU during defibrillation will be "possible"; the potential harm due to insulation breakdown to be medium severity (burns) and therefore the risk should be unacceptable without a risk control measure, and the obvious risk control measure is verifying the insulation is OK for the expected defib voltages.

However, it's not really a practical concern. The issue is not the electrode itself but the insulation on the cable that connects between NE and the ESU. In practice the insulation on the cable will be easily able to handle 2kV pulse of 2-3ms, which is very light stress in terms of dielectric strength due to the short duration. If a cable really failed the 2kV pulse test, the insulation would have to be so thin (say 50µm or less) that it would be useless mechanically. So, yes, theoretically applicable from risk management but practically a waste of time.

The situation for the NE electrode being connected with a cable, but the non-patient side connector is removed from the ESU should not be an issue. Medical operators should be trained to know that if a part with an accessory is classified as defib proof, the connector at the equipment side should remain connected. This is not only for safety during defibrillation but also being able quickly restart the medical procedure after defibrillation is performed. There is no requirement in other standards (in particular, patient monitors, IBP, Temp, ECG etc) to defib test an accessory with the accessory disconnected from the equipment.

Stephan

Registered
There is no requirement in IEC 60601-2-2 for the part to be defibrillator proof. Although the test is modified by IEC 60601-2-2, the applicability of the test remains based on the general standard which is optional based on classifications as determined by the manufacturer.

There is a possibility that the test lab is thinking it is mandatory based on the TRF (test report form) provided by the IECEE CB scheme. These forms can often use cryptic or abbreviated text for the requirement which imply something is mandatory when it is not, especially for particular standards (which are often read independent from the 601-1 TRF). Or, the test lab may be policing outside of the standard, knowing that most (all?) ESUs are classified as defib proof, so it makes sense that an accessory should also be defib proof.

Thank you for the hint. That might explain their way of thinking, sounds reasonable.

In one sense, I agree with the lab. A good risk analysis should find that the probability of the neutral electrode and cable remaining on the patient and connected to the ESU during defibrillation will be "possible"; the potential harm due to insulation breakdown to be medium severity (burns) and therefore the risk should be unacceptable without a risk control measure, and the obvious risk control measure is verifying the insulation is OK for the expected defib voltages.

Agree.

However, it's not really a practical concern. The issue is not the electrode itself but the insulation on the cable that connects between NE and the ESU. In practice the insulation on the cable will be easily able to handle 2kV pulse of 2-3ms, which is very light stress in terms of dielectric strength due to the short duration. If a cable really failed the 2kV pulse test, the insulation would have to be so thin (say 50µm or less) that it would be useless mechanically. So, yes, theoretically applicable from risk management but practically a waste of time.

I think the requirement in 60601-2-2 clause 201.15.101.4 * NE cord insulation should cover any defib proof concerns when talking about cable insulation, or does it not? Especially 3rd dash of 201.15.101.4 with 2.1 kV dielectric strength test.
Another thing is the insulation of the electrode (backing side - not patient side) itself. Usually a thin plastic layer (e.g. PET) with a foam or some kind of medical tape (PE, PP,...). So all in all about 1 to 2 mm of plastic insulation. Additionally, the electrode is mostly covered with drapes during surgeries. I agree that there is no practical concern, but the only part with can be argued at, would be the electrode itself in this perspective, not the cable. For the cable exists at least a dielectric testing in 60601-2-2 I can refer to.

The situation for the NE electrode being connected with a cable, but the non-patient side connector is removed from the ESU should not be an issue. Medical operators should be trained to know that if a part with an accessory is classified as defib proof, the connector at the equipment side should remain connected. This is not only for safety during defibrillation but also being able quickly restart the medical procedure after defibrillation is performed. There is no requirement in other standards (in particular, patient monitors, IBP, Temp, ECG etc) to defib test an accessory with the accessory disconnected from the equipment.
Thank you for the hint, I did not think of that.

Thank you a lot for the discussion and for your time, appreciate it. This helps me to get a different point of view and to understand some things.

Top Bottom