Implementation Consultant: Supplier of Services

D

dbulak

Consultant

We have a person who was hired :bigwave: as a consultant for our It operations. He is here everyday. Should he be included in our ISO system? If the answer is yes, In what capacity? I am looking for thoughts and the proper wording if he is to be included. Thanks.

D

D.Scott

dbulak said:
We have a person who was hired :bigwave: as a consultant for our It operations. He is here everyday. Should he be included in our ISO system? If the answer is yes, In what capacity? I am looking for thoughts and the proper wording if he is to be included. Thanks.

My quick answer would be that he is probably already covered in your system. Your system, hopefully, doesn't specify who (by name) is involved in the system. I would hope any names are limited to organizational charts.

The IT guy probably fits into your system as a facilitator for other aspects of the quality system like documentation, customer service and such. Those should already be fully defined in the system.

Next, you say he is a consultant which places him as a supplier to your company. He would be the same as your registrar, a quality consultant, or the guy who stocks your vending machines. Presumably the position of IT consultant has no responsibility for quality (the consultant may advise or even direct but a company employee would actually have the responsibility). I would see no need to specifically include him in the ISO system. Again, JMO.

Over to the big dogs.

Dave

dbulak said:
Should he be included in our ISO system?
In addition to what Dave said:

Maybe not in your system as such, but he is obviously a part of your everyday operation just as much as any employee, and should have the proper competence, awareness, training and so on just like they do. That, imo points straight at clause 6 in general and 6.2.2 in particular.

The fact that he is not an employee leads to 7.4, Purchasing.

/Claes

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
D.Scott said:
Next, you say he is a consultant which places him as a supplier to your company.
I have seen many auditors ask to see me on my client's approved supplier list, their evaluation of me, as well as for the criteria used to hire me as their implementation consultant.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Marc said:
I have seen many auditors ask to see me on my client's approved supplier list, their evaluation of me, as well as for the criteria used to hire me as their implementation consultant.

While we have yet to be asked this by our Registrar, we've often had the debate as to whether the Registrar belongs on our Approved Vendor List. However, when it came to decide what the criteria are for their "performance", the issue was dropped.

Thought about creating a "fake" AVL with the Registrar on it for the next audit, just to see how closely they're paying attention... ;)

D

db

Marc said:

I too have had this. I've also had auditors say that my client also have to have a copy of my RAB cert when I teach Internal Audit. When I perform internal audits, the client must maintain a training file on me as they would one of their own employees, as well.

When I think about it, it does make sense that the company would have to go through some sort of process to approve me, considering how much impact I have on their QMS or EMS. Of course, I wouldn't want them to dig too deep. :eek:

Top Bottom