Incoming parts inspection in automotive industry

I

IMQCP

Hello,

I am an intern doing a project on incoming parts inspection procedures in automotive industry. Would someone please tell me where I can find information on receiving inspection procedures followed by different firms in the automotive industry?

Thanks in advance:thanx: :cfingers:

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
IMQCP said:
Hello,

I am an intern doing a project on incoming parts inspection procedures in automotive industry. Would someone please tell me where I can find information on receiving inspection procedures followed by different firms in the automotive industry?

Hi IMQCP,

Your question is pretty general, and really can't be answered. Receiving inspection procedures can vary widely depending on the product under inspection.

For example, I perform physical inspection on machined parts. Parts that return from our finishing vendor is inspection for count and condition only.

I

IMQCP

CarolX,

Thank you for ur reply. I am looking for examples of incoming inspection procedures for engine parts like cams, gaskets etc.

:thanks:
IMQCP

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
IMQCP said:
Hello,

As Carol suggested, your question is difficult to answer. Companies have widely varying methods of receiving inspection--some don't do it at all, others inspect some parts but not others, sampling methods vary, etc., etc., and the inspection done by automotive companies isn't much different from what's done by none-automotive companies. Companies are not likely to have published their methods anywhere, so it's not likely that you'll be able to find any primary sources for information. If you have specific questions about methods, you'll get plenty of help here, but I'm not sure anyone will be able to give you another source for information.

T

Toefuzz - 2006

Also, what type of inspection is being done? Is it a dimensional issue on a machined part that should prove relatively consistant from lot to lot or is it a finished part (e-coat, paint, etc) that may have a more subjective standard with a great deal of variation? Is the upstream process automated or manual? What type of controls do they have in place for each? How much variation do you expect to see? Have you sampled anything to collect a baseline? What is the base material being inspected? A zinc or aluminum die-casting will in general have a greater variation from batch to batch when compared to something like a steel stamping. Just some thoughts :)

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
IMQCP said:
I am looking for examples of incoming inspection procedures for engine parts like cams, gaskets etc.

Are you looking for general "this is how we handle incoming inspection" procedure, or detailed procedure, specific to a part, such as "measure O.D. 123 with 0-1" micrometer"?

You can also scroll down to the bottom of this page for links to similar threads.

I

IMQCP

Thanks all for the replies.

CarolX, I am looking for a general one. I still dont have much info on the parts we expect to inspect, so I am a looking for a general procedure.

IMQCP

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Minimum procdure:
1. Compare number of parts to packing slip. If they match, lot passes. If not, reject lot (or set aside and label for other disposition).
2. Compare part number on invoice to parts. If they match, lot passes. If not, reject lot (or set aside and label for other disposition).
3. Check packing for damage. If none, lot passes. If damage, reject lot (or set aside and label for other disposition).
Until you have some idea of what you're going to receive, there's not much you can define in a receiving inspection procedure.

Top Bottom