ISO 9000 Where to Start

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
@Golfman25 , @John C. Abnet
The ISO 9001 certification is required by some of our potential clients. They want to see it before placing orders. Our company is not going to grow for the next few years or at all. We're adding one more contractor in the next year or so, and that's about it. I do almost all of the physical work and the other guys do the design/programming and office work. Basically, everything that 9001 needs defined is done by me.
Fair enough. You'll have your work cut out feeding the beast while doing everything else a small startup requires. If you can find a working group to join, or a consultant that won't bankrupt you, it will be helpful. Good luck..

RomanK

Registered
Fair enough. You'll have your work cut out feeding the beast while doing everything else a small startup requires. If you can find a working group to join or a consultant that won't bankrupt you, it will be helpful. Good luck..
What do you mean "a working group to join"?
Also, it is not a start-up. It's a well established business that's been operating for many years. In the last few years, they have only hired me (hardware) and another guy (entry sys admin) working part time to offload some of the work. I contract 40-80hr/mo for that company. So spending a month on 9001 documentation is not a problem for me.

EDIT: I've already done a lot of procedures and manuals over the last few months on assembly and use of the devices we make. So at least I dont have to worry about that stuff.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
What do you mean "a working group to join"?
Also, it is not a start-up. It's a well established business that's been operating for many years. In the last few years, they have only hired me (hardware) and another guy (entry sys admin) working part time to offload some of the work. I contract 40-80hr/mo for that company. So spending a month on 9001 documentation is not a problem for me.

EDIT: I've already done a lot of procedures and manuals over the last few months on assembly and use of the devices we make. So at least I dont have to worry about that stuff.
A working group is a group of similarly situated companies working thru the standard together. Basically share the expenses of a consultant and have others to bounce ideas off. Can be put together by local community colleges or trade associations and the like. Very helpful for smaller companies without professional quality people on staff.

You‘ll probably spend more than a month a documentation. You‘ll need to read and understand the standard — easier said than done. Its vagueness is both a strength and a weakness. You’ll need to run things by the bosses and they’ll be like ”what are you talking about.” And remember whatever you create, you’ll need to feed. Just trying to set expectations. It’s a big project.

Top Bottom