ISO 9001:2000 - Clause 4.1 - How to control outsourced processes?

T

TBR01

We're working on an ISO 9001:2000 system. 4.1 says we must control any outsourced processes. We outsource things like anodizing and polishing, which are purely cosmetic.

In your opinion does it meet the standard if we "control" these outsourced processes by our usual methods of vendor evaluation (in our case, vendor survey, vendor visit, ongoing receiving inspection)??

Thanks!

Tim

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
TBR01 said:
We're working on an ISO 9001:2000 system. 4.1 says we must control any outsourced processes. We outsource things like anodizing and polishing, which are purely cosmetic.

In your opinion does it meet the standard if we "control" these outsourced processes by our usual methods of vendor evaluation (in our case, vendor survey, vendor visit, ongoing receiving inspection)??

Thanks!

Tim
Yes it does.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
ISO/TC 176/SC 2/N 630R2 to the rescue....

For more information, browse this document. It is critical that your vendor evaluation processes establish, as a minimum, requirements equivalent to the ones in ISO 9001. If the anodizing and polishing processes you refer to need to be validated (ISO 9001, 7.5.2) you need to require that in your purchasing documents.

PS. Be aware that I said IF. Some people erroneously believe that any welding, plating, soldering, etc ARE special processes. In most cases, they are, but NOT always.

Good luck.

A

aqhjess

TBR01 said:

Thanks!

Tim
make sure that your outsoures processes takes place in controlled maner: they are properly planned, operated by competent personnel, right tools are used, procedures, work instructions, specifications and forms are available.... i mean exactly just like those processes are in your place.
that is my opinion
best regards,

aqhjess

Top Bottom