ISO 9001 Consultant + Welding Inspector for Same Client - Conflict of interest?

V

Vic de Beer

I am the owner of a small consulting business, performing 3rd party Audits as a contractor (ISO 9001), some consulting work (writing quality management programs) and Inspections (predominantly visual welding inspections), mostly in the steel manufacturing/constrcution industries. :bigwave:
Unfortunately, no individual element or section is enough to keep the business afloat so I am always on the lookout for new business.:(
I have a few permanent clients that I audit every year (as a contract Auditor for a registrar). :rolleyes:
Now I have an opportunity, as a contractor for a Welder Certification organization, to perform welder testing for welder performance certification. ;)
Some of these tests may take place at the locations of some of my current clients (ISO) where welders may require re-certification.
If I do the welder certification testing, and then subsequently perform an audit, does that present a conflict of interest?:confused:
I do not want to create a situation where I can yeopardize either operations and I am asking for some guidance or advice from all you well informed members of the "Cove"..

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: ISO 9001 - Welding Inspector....Conflict of interest????

If I do the welder certification testing, and then subsequently perform an audit, does that present a conflict of interest?:confused:
I do not want to create a situation where I can yeopardize either operations and I am asking for some guidance or advice from all you well informed members of the "Cove"..
According to ISO 17021:2006, section 7.3, the CB you represent must be notified (by you) about any commercial association you have with any organization/company they assign you to audit, on their behalf.

After being notified about the situation, the CB would determine and record if a threat to impartiality exists.

So, you need to communicate to the CB about the situation.

V

Vic de Beer

Re: ISO 9001 - Welding Inspector....Conflict of interest????

Thanks Sidney, much appreciated. I will get in touch with them right away.
:thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom