ISO 9001 Section 7.3 Design and Development Question

K

khalilb

Is section 7.3 in ISO 9001:2008 belongs to engineering designs in construction projects only? or it can apply for any process that need designing like software development, or IT infrastructure projects that need to design networks?

Please note that the organization I am working for has two lines of operations
1- service providing for the other departments in the mother organization. This operation line do not need designing.
2- project management of IT related projects. The projects may involve software development, or IT infrastructure project for creating networks.

Do we need to apply the requirements of section 7.3 at the project management work that I mentioned above???? Thanks.

P

PaulJSmith

7.3.1 states, "The organization shall plan and control the design and development of product." (my emphasis added)
You can substitute "service" there, too, if that's what you offer to your customers. This, I think, is the essence of 7.3 (and 9001 in general) -- If it affects the product or service offered to the customer, then it applies.

While the standard doesn't seem to require this application to infrastructure, if you feel it's beneficial to your company, then you can by all means apply it there as well.

K

khalilb

7.3.1 states, "The organization shall plan and control the design and development of product." (my emphasis added)
You can substitute "service" there, too, if that's what you offer to your customers. This, I think, is the essence of 7.3 (and 9001 in general) -- If it affects the product or service offered to the customer, then it applies.

While the standard doesn't seem to require this application to infrastructure, if you feel it's beneficial to your company, then you can by all means apply it there as well.
Thanks PaulJSmith for the clarification.

The organization I am talking about is an IT department in larger organization, this department is providing two type of services to the parent organization, these services are:

1- Technical support according to maintenance calls from other departments. This type of services is very standardized. This type of services happen automatically without any planning, and approving with customer on terms and conditions. Some of these services happen spontaneously without request, like administrating and securing the network.

2- Managing the IT project in the parent organization. This service is handled by project management unit in the IT department. The project management unit is adopting the Project Management Institute (PMI) methodology in managing the projects. Some of these projects include software design, and some include IT infrastructure work like networks and servers. Very important to notice that the Project Management Unit is not carrying out any software engineering work or infrastructure design, but it manage the project that contractors do.

I hope this clarification helps.

Top Bottom