Lean Six Sigma - Advantages and disadvantages

J

JM_RESEARCH

Hi Forum Users

I'm currently conducting some research into the advantages and disadvantages of Lean Six Sigma. I can find lots of information on the individual approaches on Lean and Six Sigma but i'm struggling to find information on the combined approach in particular the disadvantages.

Your help would be appreciated

Kind Regards

James

:)

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi Forum Users

I'm currently conducting some research into the advantages and disadvantages of Lean Six Sigma. I can find lots of information on the individual approaches on Lean and Six Sigma but i'm struggling to find information on the combined approach in particular the disadvantages.

Your help would be appreciated

Kind Regards

James

:)

James,

I am afraid that you will get biased responses. The practitioners, who in many cases are expected must promote it in their own organizations will rave about it. Those who are skeptical, will doubt its advantages.

Stijloor.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
A couple other points to consider when determining benefits:

How complicated are your processes? The more complicated your processes - and the less thought out they were when they were implemented, the greater the benefit. The converse is also true.

How bad is the current state? If it is sloppy due to an overemphasis in firefighting rather than up-front thinking, then you will see great improvements. If it was well thought out originally, be benefits will be incremental - if at all.

This is true when looking for benefits for implementation of quality systems, too (ISO, et. al.).

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I think teh first place to start is understanding that Lean Six Sigma is not different than 'doing' both Lean and Six Sigma.

for me the advantages are that the two approaches complemetn each eath and enable the best of both to be realized. for example as I 'lean out' a line, I often find that my biggest constraint is a technical issue that requires six sigma (I prefer statistical engineering) approaches to resolve.

one disadvantage I guess is that neither lean or six sigam can or should be blindly applied. I've worked with companies that were not technically complicated and didn't need traditional six sigma, but the lean approaches were very applicable...and vice versa

Top Bottom