Legal Requirements - How Legal Requirements apply to environmental aspects? ISO 14001

ugurkavi

Registered Visitor
Well, we have to identify the legal requirements and how they apply to environmental aspects. Upto this point it is good. But, when standard says legal requirements, does it mean just environmental laws, or does it include any applicable Occupational and Safety Laws and regulations as well? I believe it does but some others in our company believe otherwise... What do you guys think?

K

knight_sirk

4.3.2 Legal and other requirements (ISO14001:2004)

ugurkavi said:
Well, we have to identify the legal requirements and how they apply to environmental aspects. Upto this point it is good. But, when standard says legal requirements, does it mean just environmental laws, or does it include any applicable Occupational and Safety Laws and regulations as well? I believe it does but some others in our company believe otherwise... What do you guys think?

Only the applicable legal requirements and other requirements to which the organization subscribes related to its environmental aspects

Check out cl.4.3.2a&b of the standard.

Are there any activities related to occupational and safety identified as environmetal aspect/s by your company? site an example (if any).

3.6 environmental aspect
element of an organization's activities or products or services that can interact with the environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy

Super Moderator
ugurkavi said:

I think ISO 14001 is an "ENVIRONMENTAL" standard so the name of the document contains the answer you seek.

:topic: I've looked at your posts and I have a question...Do you know anything at all about what you are doing?

What you have been seeking is information that is as basic as 1,2,3. Do yourself a favor and save time by looking through the threads in the ISO 14001 area here in the Cove, your questions have been answered numerous times.

Learn to fish a bit.

ugurkavi

Registered Visitor
Randy said:
What you have been seeking is information that is as basic as 1,2,3. Do yourself a favor and save time by looking through the threads in the ISO 14001 area here in the Cove, your questions have been answered numerous times.
After I posted I realized that some of the questions in my mind were already answered when I started reading the posts in this forum. My problem is this is the first time I am given responsibility in environmentally related subject and I feel like I have to be cautious and sure about the each step I take towards the documentation and implementation of EMS considering the resistance towards the change in the company.

I have to add your responds as well as some other experienced ones' here to most of the questions cleared a lot of confusion in my mind :)

K

knight_sirk

Stand Corrected

This supersede my previous post.

Kindly refer to the Terms and Definitions of ISO14001:2004
3.5 environment
- surroundings in which an organization operates, including air, water, land, natural resources, flora, fauna, humans, and their interrelation.

Randy

Super Moderator
ugurkavi said:
After I posted I realized that some of the questions in my mind were already answered when I started reading the posts in this forum. My problem is this is the first time I am given responsibility in environmentally related subject and I feel like I have to be cautious and sure about the each step I take towards the documentation and implementation of EMS considering the resistance towards the change in the company.

I have to add your responds as well as some other experienced ones' here to most of the questions cleared a lot of confusion in my mind :)

Then particular attention should be paid to 4.4.1 & 4.4.2.

4.4.1 Management shall ensure the availability of resources essential to establish, implement, maintain and improve the environmental management system. Resources include human resources and specialized skills, organizational infrastructure, technology and financial resources.

4.4.2 The organization shall ensure that any person(s) performing tasks for it or on its behalf that have the potential to cause a significant environmental impact(s) identified by the organization is (are) competent on the basis of appropriate education, training or experience, and shall retain associated records.

4.4.2 The organization shall identify training needs associated with its environmental aspects and its environmental
management system.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
In some geographic regions there may be some availability challenges to locating training, or already trained personnel. So a person may need to start from the beginning, having been tapped my management who arguably seems ignorant of the concept but says "Get us certified." The matter becomes getting the job done and 4.4.1/4.4.2 becomes satisfied through the environmental manager's developmental process.

So ugurkavi I suggest you look at some books and, until you get a good book, the threads in this site. Try amazon.com for books like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_4/104-6669665-0931934?_encoding=UTF8

I think I understand your confusion because some aspects would harm people as well as the environment. Nonetheless, 14001 concerns itself with environmental laws, regulations, codes and the company's own goals (which may be more stringent than just obeying the law) and not safety (OSHA, 18001). Safety may indeed benefit from the controls placed via the environmental standard, but try to avoid mixing the concepts.

ugurkavi

Registered Visitor
I think I understand your confusion because some aspects would harm people as well as the environment. Nonetheless said:
Thanks :) I was mainly reading EPA's guidance books and case examples. However, will look for the books on amazon.com as well.

Top Bottom