Looking for Process Monitoring /SPC Package - Molded pharma packaging

C

Carl Keller

Hi folks,

I am looking for a process monitoring system that tracks cycle times, injection pressures, etc. through a PLC that also has an SPC element.

Not sure how the SPC gauging part would work, through a vision system probably.

If the process became unstable or the SPC sensed a trend or defect, the machine would audible alarm/shut down.

We make blow molded and injection molded pharma packaging.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Carl-

A

AllanJ

Carl Keller said:
Hi folks,

I am looking for a process monitoring system that tracks cycle times, injection pressures, etc. through a PLC that also has an SPC element.

If the process became unstable or the SPC sensed a trend or defect, the machine would audible alarm/shut down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Carl-

Carl,
As a minor part of an assignment last year for a client, I looked into this (actually I directed one of my client's staff in what to research.)

He found that many of the more sophisticated SPC software programs will provide what you are looking for. Of course, your industrial engineer will need to rig up the transducers/ sensors etc to the PC and also the PC to the machine control panel.

The client operated primarily in the plastic extrusion business. It did not implement the process control SPC needed, but that is another story. (Don't ask, it was most irritating.)

My suggestion, look carefully at the full SPC software spec and review it with your industrial engineers. A trial should help and some of those s/ware suppliers can also offer support for implementing what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

I

IMC

I will suggest you research a company named National Instruments. They are specialized in software and hardware required for most of what you are looking for, although I am not sure if they are into SPC. They might be available to go to your facility and do a full analysis of what they can do for you.

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Carl Keller said:
Hi folks,

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Carl-

Carl,
You may want to explore the following software:
http://www.wonderware.com/products/analytical/qianalyst/
We had the version 3.0.But we were using it as an offline SPG tool.
Now the Version 4.2 seem to have real time SPC capability.
Assuming your blow moulding machine has the RS232 interface, you may find this information useful.

another option You may want to explore is:
http://www.hertzler.com/html/v74_main.asp
Advantage of this tool is, this can also work with MiniTab14.
Hertzler had their stall in AQC 2004.

and more options:
National instruments as mentioned by the other Contributor is also correct.
We use this labview software. But we this software for a different application.
http://www.ni.com/pdf/products/us/4msw64-65.pdf

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Govind.

Top Bottom