SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

MDR - Information in the instructions for use - clause 23.4.(z)

lacri

Registered
Someone can clarify me the point below:
23.4 (z) a notice to the user and/or patient that any serious incident that has occurred in relation to the device should be reported to the manufacturer and the competent authority of the Member State in which the user and/or patient is established.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Not sure what's to clarify in that... can you please be more specific?

That kind of notice should be included in the IFU.
(A little silly IMO, because users/patients wouldn't necessarily know what constitutes or doesn't constitute a "serious incident", and wouldn't necessarily know who the relevant "competent authority" is, or how to find out, or what a competent authority is anyway.)

twanmul

Involved In Discussions
I think it's fairly clear - we'll probably have to define a serious incident within the IFU and also provide a link to an appropriate vigilance reporting system for the member state (e.g. yellow card reporting in the UK). If you provide devices to customers in different member states, then it may be worth including all of these on your IFU (or different IFU's for different member states).

Hope that we can have some further discussion and/or alignment still as a follow-up in this topic.
The GSPR 23.1 (d) states that "By way of exception, instructions for use shall not be required for Class I and Class IIa devices if such devices can be used safely without any such instructions and unless otherwise provided for elsewhere in this Section."
I am of the opinion that this and 23.4(z) are contradictory.
Especially for 'simple' class I devices with a very straightforward use (e.g., electrode wire), it seem ridiculous to me to include an IfU just for such a notice, let alone to include the definitions of serious incident. It may actually confuse users. And in case such a device is solely used together with a device of higher risk class, clearly that higher class device will include a more elaborate IfU where the notice can be included.
I appreciate any input from a forum member here . . . and would like to learn how other manufacturers deal with this.

Since I have not seen an example, nor any guidance, hereby up for discussion my proposal:

"If, in relation to the use of [this product], a death or a serious deterioration of health has occurred, this should be reported to the manufacturer and the competent authority of your country. When in doubt, please consult with a (senior) advisor on regulatory affairs."

Billy Milly

Starting to get Involved
You shall have the IFU prepared and on file (readily available if anyone asks for it). Decision to (not) include the IFU with the device depends on the risk analysis - what is the risk, severity and occurence, if the IFU (with all included details) is not available to the user with each device? So, take the "risk" perspective.
If you conclude that IFU is not necessary (procedure-wise), but you still have to lower the occurence of "not reporting", you can take a different approach - warning on the label, box, packaging, leaflet, etc.
Your proposal seems OK. Following the regulation, you could change the last sentence to When in doubt, report.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational EU – Medical devices: Implementation of Regulation (EU) 2017/745 on medical devices (MDR) – Information from the Irish and German delegations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E EU MDR GSPR 23.1 information on website CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Medical Device News EU MDR – Information on stages in designation process from Team-NB Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
dgrainger EC-MDR Information for manufacturers guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W MDR Annex I chapter 23.2 (q) - Information required on the label EU Medical Device Regulations 18
F MDR – Article 120 – Transitional provisions EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H MDR Article 13(c) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Ed Panek Auditor MDR (Presub audit) finding EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Classification of Instruments under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Procedure for vigilance system according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R MEDDEV 2.12-1 rev 8 (Vigilance guidelines) still applicable with the MDR implementation? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Determining a device category according to the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Transactions under MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
H Has anyone undergone MDR FQA review yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
S UK MDR + EU MDR Declaration of Conformity UK Medical Device Regulations 0
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H MDD VS MDR 2002-218 UK Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek MDR Liability Insurance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDD to MDR - Tallow Derivatives Impact EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Update on NBOG 2014-3 to address MDR/IVDR, or any plan to do that? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDR GSPR Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Translation requirements for the statement referred to in ANNEX XIII of MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J EU MDR GSPR 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Labelling to comply with both FDA and MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
N EU MDR and its impact on existing Registrations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Post Market Safety Update Report for devices that will be up-classified under MDR but are currently under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Y MDR Transition - make "Available on the market" after CE certificate expiration EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C MDR Classification Rule 10 EU Medical Device Regulations 13
C MDR software classification EU Medical Device Regulations 12
Y MDR requirements for Class I accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M MDR legal actions - manufacturers CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
R Products not within the MDR grace period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
shimonv MDR transition checklist EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Re-packaging under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Ed Panek Upcoming NB MDD ---> MDR Crunch EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR - System and procedure pack article 22 and all sub processes that apply ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C Requirements for distributors under MDR: translation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Should we assign the PRRC before the date of application of MDR (26 May 2021)? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N Looking for a recommendation for an EU MDR Importer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
JoCam Rental and MDD versus MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Can anyone share a Distribution Agreement template under MDR 2017/745? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR ANNEX XI part A or Part B EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N OBL under the MDR. Which are the obligations of the OEM? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
U Distributor obligations under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Raisin picker CECP, consultation according to Art 54 MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Question on MDR classification EU Medical Device Regulations 4