MSA on Process Instruments (Voltmeters, Ammeters Fixed on Machine)

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
The MSA manual 4th Ed., Page 3 uses an example of measuring the temperature of feed material. This and other examples imply that the intent of the MSA manual is for both part characteristics and process parameters.

However, the governing document will be the requirements of the actual standard (e.g., ISO 9001, ISO TS16949) plus any customer specific requirements. Since your gages are critical controls for a special process, I am dubious that you would be able to obtain an exemption from the requirements.

:thanx: (For your guidance & help)

Can you / anyone guide about how MSA study can be done of Ammeters & voltmeters (gages) - that measure the input variables(Such as voltage & currents) for welding process?

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Thank you all for your answers & help!! :thanx:

I have decided to conduct a GRR study on voltmeters & ammeters. I'm little sure that this will work.

I'll share the GRR study once it is completed for reference of others.

Thanks once again....

Regards,
Amit

Last edited:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Are these instruments part of the equipment and provide automated, digital readings, or are they manual checks by an operator?

If they are part of the equipment and provide automatic readings in digital format, you may only need to perform a Gage R study. If they are performed manually or the outputs subject to interpretation as in analog readings, use a Gage R&R study.

In either case, I would start by using a calibrated power supply capable of providing a controlled voltage/current to a much more refined degree than the meter. Use the power supply to check your R/R&R as a %Tolerance.

If this is acceptable, perform a capability study of the welding process to determine the process variance. Subtract the measurement system variance (s^2) from the process variance (s^2) to determine the actual Process Variation (PV). Use the PV to determine the R/R&R as a %PV.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Are these instruments part of the equipment and provide automated, digital readings, or are they manual checks by an operator?

If they are part of the equipment and provide automatic readings in digital format, you may only need to perform a Gage R study. If they are performed manually or the outputs subject to interpretation as in analog readings, use a Gage R&R study.

In either case, I would start by using a calibrated power supply capable of providing a controlled voltage/current to a much more refined degree than the meter. Use the power supply to check your R/R&R as a %Tolerance.

If this is acceptable, perform a capability study of the welding process to determine the process variance. Subtract the measurement system variance (s^2) from the process variance (s^2) to determine the actual Process Variation (PV). Use the PV to determine the R/R&R as a %PV.

Thank you very much for this helpful information!!!

As per your guidance, I'll perform Gauge R study, as the readings are in digital form.

I'll verify the power supply to check whether any error is present (Calibration) with a much accurate gauge than ammeter/voltmeter.

Thanks once again......:thanks:

Regards,
Amit

Top Bottom