My iPod, My Cell, My Insulin Pump - Advances of Diabetics Management

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
There is an interesting article talking on advances of Diabetics Management, from the Business Week USA, https://www.businessweek.com/magazi...=technology_technology+index+page_top+stories

My iPod, My Cell, My Insulin Pump
Medical device makers are taking cues from user-friendly tech gadgets

Tom Baldwin, a 43-year-old flight attendant, wears two sleek gadgets strapped to his belt. One is an iPhone and the other is a compact insulin pump and glucose monitor called the Paradigm Real-Time (PRT) System made by medical device giant Medtronic (MDT). It features user-friendly control buttons and a screen that displays Baldwin's glucose levels, measured up to 288 times a day, from a fine needle lodged in the skin of his abdomen. "I used to be self-conscious about taking insulin shots or using my pump," says Baldwin. But the device, which he wears day and night and replaces with fresh insulin every three days, rarely draws curious stares. It "looks like a pager," he says.

In an effort to provide better care for the world's surging population of diabetics, medical device makers are teaming up with industrial designers and seeking inspiration in popular consumer products such as MP3 players and cell phones. The goal is to come up with more intuitive user interfaces and design flourishes that will prompt patients to manage their diseases more effectively—and win more customer loyalty. Design has become a "primary focus," says Dr. Alan Marcus, global director of medical affairs at Medtronic. "We're actively moving in that direction."

Recent research bears out Baldwin's assertion that design can influence how a patient deals with his disease. At a meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes in Amsterdam, Italian researchers said they looked at quality-of-life issues for 1,341 patients with type 1 diabetes. They found people who used pumps such as the PRT System experienced 70% less therapy-related dissatisfaction than those who repeatedly inject themselves.

Demand for these well-designed tools is growing. Frost & Sullivan, a research and consulting firm based in Palo Alto, Calif., estimates the U.S. market for blood-testing equipment and other products to monitor diabetes tallied $3.5 billion last year, up 12% from 2005. Monali Patel, director of the firm's health-care research department, acknowledges there may be a "saturation factor" someday. At the same time, she notes, "the number of diabetics keeps increasing, even among children." The International Diabetes Federation expects the patient population worldwide to reach crisis proportions by 2025—perhaps as many as 380 million, up from about 246 million today.

Anticipating this surge, device makers have redoubled efforts to come up with more elegant solutions. Insulet (PODD), in Bedford, Mass., teamed up with design firm Continuum to create the OmniPod. Attached to the body by a thin tube, the product's compact insulin pump syncs wirelessly with a preprogrammed controller that looks like a smartphone.

Another diabetes startup, HealthPia America, received approval from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration in August to market the GlucoPhone, a glucose meter that can be attached to selected LG Electronics and Motorola mobile phones. To use it, a diabetic pricks his finger, dabs the blood on a paper strip, and inserts the strip in a special slot in the phone attachment. An internal reader analyzes the sample in 9 seconds, the phone displays the results, and—if the patient wishes—sends the data to a medical professional.

ACCURACY FIRST
Cool shapes and clever add-ons are no substitute for accuracy, says Patel. "We should ask if the new devices have been designed to minimize [blood glucose] sampling error," she says.

The most successful device makers, however, take accuracy as a baseline and then think about enhancements. For Medicom, a unit of Bang & Olufsen, the Danish company better known for high-end audio and video gear, one target is improving compliance with patients' insulin regimens. Medicom is currently developing an insulin injection tool called the C-Cap. Shaped like a pen, it beeps and flashes a short green light every 4 to 24 hours to remind a diabetic to inject insulin. If the pen isn't used within an hour of a warning, a red light flashes. The device also confirms each injection with a long green flash.

R

ramblinpaul

Thanks for the post.

I looked at some of the Medtronic devices to control my diabetes (Type 1- Juvenile) a few years ago. At that time I chose not to move away from my "stone age" needles. Recently, I've been thinking that maybe it's time to re-explore using the pump.

My understanding is that eventually they hope to develop an artificial pancreas which will be surgically implanted into the patient. Ultimately my hope, though I doubt it will ever happen (that doubt would be a good post in the "conspiracy" forum), is for a cure for diabetes.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
There is an interesting article talking on advances of Diabetics Management, from the Business Week USA, https://www.businessweek.com/magazi...=technology_technology+index+page_top+stories

My iPod, My Cell, My Insulin Pump
Medical device makers are taking cues from user-friendly tech gadgets

Tom Baldwin, a 43-year-old flight attendant, wears two sleek gadgets strapped to his belt. One is an iPhone and the other is a compact insulin pump and glucose monitor called the Paradigm Real-Time (PRT) System made by medical device giant Medtronic (MDT). It features user-friendly control buttons and a screen that displays Baldwin's glucose levels, measured up to 288 times a day, from a fine needle lodged in the skin of his abdomen. "I used to be self-conscious about taking insulin shots or using my pump," says Baldwin. But the device, which he wears day and night and replaces with fresh insulin every three days, rarely draws curious stares. It "looks like a pager," he says.

In an effort to provide better care for the world's surging population of diabetics, medical device makers are teaming up with industrial designers and seeking inspiration in popular consumer products such as MP3 players and cell phones. The goal is to come up with more intuitive user interfaces and design flourishes that will prompt patients to manage their diseases more effectively—and win more customer loyalty. Design has become a "primary focus," says Dr. Alan Marcus, global director of medical affairs at Medtronic. "We're actively moving in that direction."

Recent research bears out Baldwin's assertion that design can influence how a patient deals with his disease. At a meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes in Amsterdam, Italian researchers said they looked at quality-of-life issues for 1,341 patients with type 1 diabetes. They found people who used pumps such as the PRT System experienced 70% less therapy-related dissatisfaction than those who repeatedly inject themselves.

Demand for these well-designed tools is growing. Frost & Sullivan, a research and consulting firm based in Palo Alto, Calif., estimates the U.S. market for blood-testing equipment and other products to monitor diabetes tallied $3.5 billion last year, up 12% from 2005. Monali Patel, director of the firm's health-care research department, acknowledges there may be a "saturation factor" someday. At the same time, she notes, "the number of diabetics keeps increasing, even among children." The International Diabetes Federation expects the patient population worldwide to reach crisis proportions by 2025—perhaps as many as 380 million, up from about 246 million today.

Anticipating this surge, device makers have redoubled efforts to come up with more elegant solutions. Insulet (PODD), in Bedford, Mass., teamed up with design firm Continuum to create the OmniPod. Attached to the body by a thin tube, the product's compact insulin pump syncs wirelessly with a preprogrammed controller that looks like a smartphone.

Another diabetes startup, HealthPia America, received approval from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration in August to market the GlucoPhone, a glucose meter that can be attached to selected LG Electronics and Motorola mobile phones. To use it, a diabetic pricks his finger, dabs the blood on a paper strip, and inserts the strip in a special slot in the phone attachment. An internal reader analyzes the sample in 9 seconds, the phone displays the results, and—if the patient wishes—sends the data to a medical professional.

ACCURACY FIRST
Cool shapes and clever add-ons are no substitute for accuracy, says Patel. "We should ask if the new devices have been designed to minimize [blood glucose] sampling error," she says.

The most successful device makers, however, take accuracy as a baseline and then think about enhancements. For Medicom, a unit of Bang & Olufsen, the Danish company better known for high-end audio and video gear, one target is improving compliance with patients' insulin regimens. Medicom is currently developing an insulin injection tool called the C-Cap. Shaped like a pen, it beeps and flashes a short green light every 4 to 24 hours to remind a diabetic to inject insulin. If the pen isn't used within an hour of a warning, a red light flashes. The device also confirms each injection with a long green flash.

Ajit,

Should a well-designed insulin pump need this amount of user advice:

Preventing and Managing Pump Failures | Omnipod

This article prompted my concern:

Lawyer died after NHS pump flooded him with insulin
The Telegraph

Please let me know if I need to post screen prints of the article.

John

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Should a well-designed insulin pump need this amount of user advice:

Most of those look to be straight out of an IFU and it's not uncommon to see that amount of user advice (at least in my experience). When you rely on end (lay) users to take actions, you need to be overly-cautious. (I'm sure you've seen the tomes that come with drugs... no real difference here.)

Having seen the "sausage making" (especially with software), I hope to never have to be on a device.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Most of those look to be straight out of an IFU and it's not uncommon to see that amount of user advice (at least in my experience). When you rely on end (lay) users to take actions, you need to be overly-cautious. (I'm sure you've seen the tomes that come with drugs... no real difference here.)

Having seen the "sausage making" (especially with software), I hope to never have to be on a device.

Thanks.

To me it looks like a golden opportunity to improve the design of how well the device serves the user.

Schkund

Involved In Discussions
As an insulin pump user myself, I have a LOT of questions and thoughts about this incident, but I'll settle for making one clarification. All of the user advice that is included in the article provided by @John Broomfield is intended to prevent failures that fail to deliver insulin, not to prevent an overdose of insulin. Insulin overdosing tends to be a much more immediate concern for diabetic patients, but a very rare way for insulin pumps to fail. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that 99.9% percent of insulin pump failures result in a lack of insulin rather than overdosing. If his pump did indeed malfunction, it malfunctioned in a highly unusual way.