Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC

Hi all, I work in a die casting company. My company implement SPC in our process.
But, we only use 2 rules of abnormal graph.
rules 1 : ( Point out of control limit )
rules 2 : ( 4 out of 5 point in a row on same side of centerline )

I want to explain to management that we should use all kinds of abnormal charts. I got this knowledge when in my old company. but I do not have a qualified journal as a reference to management.

please share with me if you have the journal. Thank you..

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
You can refer to AIAG's SPC 2nd edition manual / other manuals for the same.
Following is the snapshot of the rules for identifying special causes as per the AIAG's SPC Manual:
1627032836841.png

However, we won't be able to share the document here since it is copyrighted.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
The rules that you use should correspond to the needs of your process. The more that you use, the greater the risk of a false alarm.

1. Rule 1 should always be used.
  2. Rule 2 should work for most processes
  3. Rule 3 should only be used if your process is subject to trends
  4. Rule 4 usually indicates a problem with mixing process streams, and is not necessary once this problem is corrected
  5. Rules 5 & 6 are intended to detect smaller process shifts. Use these if your capability is marginal, and the process must be tightly controlled. If you have high capability, these are not necessary.
  6. Rules 7 & 8 are diagnostic tests to verify that the rational subgroups are correct. Once this has been verified, these should be dropped.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Remember, the point of the rules (usually the Western Electric Rules) is to find non-random behaviors, and Shewhart Charts specifically assume that the process is totally random unless some unusual special cause action is taking place causing the process to become out of control. It is critical to realize that your process must be expected to be random for it to work. However, some processes are not random, they are functions - which is why they taught you functions in school. Functions are neither random nor independent, but may be fully in control (if expected.) Trends are expected in functions. So, before locking your sights into forcing your process to meet these rules, make sure the process has random and independent output. If not, use some other statistical approach to control the process. Otherwise, you may be driven to overcontrol your process...which is bad.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Whose waste carrier licence do I need? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
I I need some fun examples of teaching the 5 Whys Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 43
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C I need some clearing on requirements of Asuring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
C Need help in determining applicable clause for an audit finding (based on AS9120B) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Subcontractors Providing Services Under MDD or MDR need ISO 13485 from EU Notified Body? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
E Need some peer advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
S Need clarification on UKCA and "Approved Body" UK Medical Device Regulations 7
S What types of changes need to be notified to NBs? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
B Do I need a Cleanroom to manufacture Medical Devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J CMO in Canada do they need MDSAP/13485 certification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Attempting to Poke Yoke a wire crimping process...need help Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
C I need your help to find the action plan for these quality objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
ChrisM Class 1 non-sterile device, need certified QMS or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
C Need to understand difference between an actual Calibration vs. a Calibration check General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S How many tester quantity we need on the line based on the cycle time and peak volume Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 17
M Do i need to have equipment validation if 100% testing is completed? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
G Need Help with Run @ Rate for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
F Need help in IMS management review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S I need help in corrective action plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Weird spec sheet - need help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
E Do I need test reports for all standards mentioned in my 510k application? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
J Japan registration need manual without temperature reading Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
Ashland78 Need IATF 16949 ISO Gap Analysis Excel File Internal Auditing 3
R Need for an Importer outside EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
K Need Help With Auditing Suppliers Against ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
A Need career advice on QMS & HSE (No hands on experience) Career and Occupation Discussions 6
B Need assistance with documents CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Ashland78 Need to show evidence in accordance with QR-11012 and SPB-00001-09 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
E Does IVD need to integrate with hospital IT infrastructure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
U Need Help With API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
S In Need of GIDEP Guidance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Do employee training records need to be controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D What evidence do I need to supply as a remote location in relation to manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 18
W Do Reference materials for IATF need to be 17025? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D Need some Help on 8D fault tree analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
F Need Quality Manager advice. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
T Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Do CTQs need to be equipment specific? FMEA and Control Plans 8