Non-Conformance Reports require Corrective Action?

W

Waterjetter06

Hello all, and many thanks to everyone in these forums. I have been browsing and learning from all of you for the better part of a year (the amount of time that I have been in the QA field!), and have finally gotten to a question that I can not find the answer to, so I will be making my first post!

My company is currently in the process of "revamping" its non-conforming parts process, and my question is this: do all non-conformance reports require a corrective action, or is it within the standard guidelines to compile the data, look for trends, and issue corrective actions if necessary?

We are a manufacturing job shop, and cycle through hundreds of jobs and thousands of different parts daily. Various problems and mistakes arise, and our current non-conformance report requires a root cause and corrective action to be defined on each one. I would like to get away from this, as the amount of paperwork involved with filling these out becomes so cumbersome that floor employees and department managers tend to limit their write-ups to large problems, and leave the smaller issues to be corrected without documentation.

Obviously, this makes it difficult to monitor what is actually going on on the floor, when we don't have clear data to act upon. I am thinking of a simplified form that is reviewed by management and quality on a regular basis, and coming up with corrective action reports as required.

Has anyone dealt with a similar problem or any suggestions or advice for remedying this situation?

Thanks!

W

Waterjetter06

Well I have gotten the browsing aspect down, now to work on the searching... :eek:

Thank you!

Q

Qualqueen

Well I have gotten the browsing aspect down, now to work on the searching... :eek:
Thank you!

I've attached the NCR we use at my shop. It gives you choices for resolve but also gives you the opportunity for a CAR if warranted. Good luck :bigwave:

Attachments

• Internal NCR.docx
    20.6 KB · Views: 751
Last edited by a moderator:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
"...do all non-conformance reports require a corrective action..."

I assume by now you have seen that "no" is the prevailing answer. Did you get everything you needed?

W

Waterjetter06

For the most part. I am still struggling with coming up with a concise, "operator friendly" N/C report so that it will not be something that they will fight against (which, for some, I do know is wishful thinking!)

We have such a wide variety of customers, machines, operations, and materials that I generally do not need a much explanation as to why one part went bad on a singular run. If I need more info for something in particular, I can go and speak with my guys. I am simply looking for information to analyze for trends in machinery, material types, processes, operators, etc. If anyone has any such examples or advice, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm still learning this quality gig, especially with how to adapt it to our company, but I do know that this is one area that could use some work.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PVIJOHN

Well, I am newer at this than you, but since we seem to be walking the same paths when it comes to our companies..same things here.
Here is what I did.
We have three levels of Non conformances, Minor, Severe and Major. Minors are handled by a quick reject form, department, cause ( bad material, op error, missed process) they account for 80 %, Severes must be Signed By QC supervisor and require a corrective action, Majors are Signed by Plant Manager.
The Reject reports get collected and the data is entered into a Non Conforming database in excel. I list the date, Dept resp, severity, disposition, and hyper link to a scanned copy of reject report. that way i can sort the data, and summarize it monthly for manag review.

B

Brunetta

Our organization opted to put the NCR information in the top section of our Corrective Action Plan Forms. NCRs and CAPs are tracked with one indexing spreadsheet, which we use to track trends.

The upside of this tracking on one indexing spreadsheet is that it also provides an additional check on the effectiveness on prior CAPs over time.

~Brunetta

Top Bottom