Non-destructive inspection of PS tray-tyvek welding process

erdal88

Starting to get Involved
Hello together,

Do you know any non-destructive seal seam inspection methodology for polystyrene-tyvek welding as specified below? (Normally we take the first 5 samples and perform peeling test(destructive) to be sure sealing is adequate.) But I would like to inspect all welded trays as non-destructive. I appreciate it if anyone could suggest some solutions.

1711018057560.png

Thanks in advance

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
If the tyvek is coated, you may be able to see the seal through the polystyrene. This is qualitative and very difficult to validate, but it is on-destructive.

erdal88

Starting to get Involved
1073B Tyvek - CR27 coated. But visually it is not 100% possible the whole seal is intact. That is why I am searching for an inspection method such as thermal inspection.

Hendi

Registered
While it may be possible do do a thermal inspection (e.g. putting a very, very uniform heater under the seal and use very, very high-resolving thermography that might be augmented by some image processing and several heating levels to identify bad-heat-conducting air pockets in the seal that you have to discern from air pockets between heater and seal or variable emissivity, in a very, very automated way), is all this effort and money maybe better spent in the sealing process and its direct monitoring of e.g. temperatures and pressures? Each "very" corresponds with some price.

Top Bottom